Fancy Free? (New Goal Minuet 15)

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Fawkes

Fancy Free? (New Goal Minuet 15)

Postby Fawkes » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi, I'm Fawkes.

This past month my Grandfather (Dandan) passed away, and I am looking into doing something to show my appreciation for all the things he taught me.

Dandan taught me from a young age a couple of really fun skills: woodworking and Boating. I say Boating because, while he had a 22 Catalina sailboat, he never taught me to actually sail it. He did teach me a lot of the rest of owning and running the boat though. Before he passed away, sadly, he sold that fun little boat to help pay for a family member’s schooling.

In the next few weeks I will be receiving his woodworking shop. I want to build a really nice tribute to my Dandan. He loved boats and sailing. He even lived on his old sailboat with my Uncle, long before I was born. That is when I hit on the idea to take the skills he taught me and put them into something big. I decided I want to build a boat.

After this last week of researching, I found the two projects I would be most interested in. Both are Glen Ls, but I can tell the latter will be a little too ambitious for a first time build. The two I am looking at are the 21' Fancy Free, and the 27' Chessie Flyer.

I thought it best that I pop into the forums here and ask for some advice before I get deeply into the project. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you all can help with.

First, does it sound like I am overestimating my own skills? I've built Cabinets, Benches and Tables with my Dandan, I even built a scale Trebuchet once, but I can tell already from the build pages that this is a lot different.

Second, I have figured out about how much it will cost to build the Fancy Free, but I have no idea how many hours I will need to put into it. Right now I am a self-employed programmer/game designer, so I can clear time for building a few days a week.

And Finally, I watched my grandfather repair a few things on the old boat, so I have some understanding of Fiber-glassing, but not a lot. Is that going to be too much of a problem?

There are so many ideas buzzing about my head right now, I fear I am forgetting something.

Thanks for your time everyone,
Fawkes
Last edited by Fawkes on Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a Cat named Fawkes, and a sailing Cat was he,
And he sailed on a ship called the Leopard's Vanity,
And he found he was purr-sued buy the Persian Enemy,
As he sailed, as he sailed, as he sailed, high ho,
As he sailed on the Persian Sea.

mrintense

Re: Fancy Free?

Postby mrintense » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi Fawkes,

Welcome to the forum. I think building a sailboat as a tribute to your grandfather is a great idea. I would say that from your description, you have all the qualifications you need to build a boat. I am a software engineer and my wood working experience was limited to a built in book shelf and a toy plane for my son. I decided to build the 21 foot Vera Cruise which has been challenging, but nothing I haven't been able to figure out, especially with help from the other people in this forum.

I can give you a bit of advice, for what it's worth. The building of a boat is a multi-year undertaking. It will take you longer to complete than you think. But it is very doable and these designs are made for amateur builders like us. I would consider your choices very carefully. You may not want to build another boat when finished so you want to get the boat you want out of this. On the other hand, the bigger designs take a considerable amount of time over and above the smaller designs. The expense goes up as well.

I think both of the designs you have chosen to consider are great boats. I can offer this additional bit of advice . I met an owner of a Glen L 19 at the plyWooden Boat Festival in Port Aransas a few weeks ago. He was telling that the biggest problem he faced after completion was trying to find people who would go sailing with him. The larger sailboats require more people to operate I believe.

The Chessie Flyer is a very cool boat, but unless you have people who are willing to go out when you want to go out, you may find it not used as often as you'd like. Also I believe that it is not trailerable so that means storing it at a marina somewhere.

The Fancy Free seems like a good choice. I believe there is another builder here on the forum that built one of these a few years ago.

Anyway, I am rambling here. I should also say that I have no experience with sailing so please consider the opinions of more knowledgeable people than me.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Stuart

Postby Stuart » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Fawkes; If you know how to use wood working tools then you can build those boats. It is not difficult but it really does take time.

Stuart

Fawkes

Postby Fawkes » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Hey guys, worried I might have made it seem like I didn't expect it to take a while.

I was guessing in the area of 800-1000 hours of work. If I took 2 days a week, and weekends. I could do 40 hours a week with 10 hours a day in. Right now I do about 10 hours a day working on research and games, so it is well within the bounds of my schedule.

Thanks for the advice so far,
Fawkes.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:03 am

Be aware that there will be some days when weather, stamina, or processes won't allow you to put in 10 hour days. Not that it can't be done, but waiting for epoxy to cure will eat up time as will waiting for temperatures warm (or cool) enough to allow the work to be done.

Over the last two years I've found what works best for me is to spend 30 to 90 minutes in the evenings after work (usually 30 minutes) to get items done. On the weekends I will put in more hours, but even then I have to work around chores and family obligations.

I think 1000 hours is a good ballpark figure for the Fancy Free , but way too low for the Chessie Flyer. Personally, I would love to see someone build the Chessie, but it is an enormous undertaking. Ask Steve41 about his trawler build and you will get some idea of what these large boats can take.

Good luck with whatever you choose and don't hesitate to ask for help here in the forum. Also please share your work because the encouragement you receive from others will help keep you motivated. It also helps others when they see what is possible and what others are doing.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Fawkes

Where are you in Alabama? There are several of us around.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Fawkes

Postby Fawkes » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi, Bill.

I am from Anniston. My Dandan used to keep his sail boat on Lake Guntersville, and he had a Cabin Cruiser on Dauphine Island till Ivan tossed it like a toy boat.

Fawkes

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:38 pm

Fawkes

We have a place at Bon Secour. Ivan was a Nasty Boy. We were lucky and had no damage ourselves.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Fawkes

Postby Fawkes » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:42 am

Indeed, Bill?

That's good to hear. The only thing we were able to salvage from Dandan's boat was the Lifeboat, an 8' Walker Bay Rowing/Sailing Dinghy.

I am hoping to be able to sail down to the gulf some day; it would be amazing.

Fawkes

Mike Worrall

Postby Mike Worrall » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Point of clarification - earlier comment that Chessie Flyer "is not trailerable" when in fact it is - "Trailer: Designed for use with Glen-L Series 6000 boat trailer plans" (from 'Additional Specifications and Photos' link on Chessie Flyer page).

Time to build vs length of boat is a logarithmic progression (IMO) - it will likely take 'much' longer to build the 27' CF vs. the 21' FF...

MW
Francis Drake
C-Flex

Fawkes

Postby Fawkes » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:49 pm

Well things around here have been fun the last few months. They seem to be calming down though, so I have a question for any builders in Alabama. Where do you find the supplies? I have checked with a half dozen stores locally and down around Wedowee, as I was able, but none seem to be able to get the kinds of wood I would need, or didn't bother to return my calls after saying they would look into it.

Thanks for all the advice so far folks,
Fawkes

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:33 am

Fawkes

I had to order my marine ply. http://www.marine-plywood.us/ There are other places.

There may be a cabinet shop that can order lumber.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Fawkes

Postby Fawkes » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:01 am

Thanks again Bill.

Fawkes

Postby Fawkes » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:53 am

Hello again, all; hope you have been doing well.

A year and some months later, and things have finally calmed down and I can set to work in earnest on this project for my late grandfather.

This past October, I setup a crowd funding campaign to help with funding the memorial, and in December, I started drafting plans for a series of hand carved wooden clocks that I can sell to help further. My roommate and a few friends have volunteered to help with the project, and we've been debating the pros and cons of the various aspects of the build.

Together, we have decided that we definitely want to build a boat from the bottom up, so to speak. There was a few weeks time where the team thought it might be easier to restore a boat, but past experience with Dandan's boats and conversations with other groups showed us that such a change, while it would make the campaign more credible, would increase the difficulty and cost well beyond our capacity right now.

I know it has been said that if you have to worry about the price of a boat, then you shouldn't buy one. I personally find that ideology to be a little cynical. There is a point, though, where one has to admit that if the price is too high, perhaps you should scale back the goal.

In this case, my team and I have decided that it would likely be much better for the project to build something smaller. If the goal is a memorial that mixes the skills my grandfather taught me into something special, then building any boat is just as good as building a specific one. I sat down and went back through the Boat Builder catalog and found a more readily built plan for us to do.

We are now looking at the Minuet 15. We estimate the cost of all the materials, as well as the plans and a trailer, to be somewhere in the ballpark of $6500. We are interested in other things we could do to make the boat more unique, but I am leery of making modifications to plans if I haven't had a few runs of the basic version. I suggested maybe looking at a different sail rig, like an Irish Spritsail rig, but one of my team mates believes you can't change a boat's rig from its design. Our other team mate has an interesting concept for the paint scheme which might serve very well though.

Hope that catches you folks up for now. I think I got everything in this post.

Take Care,
Fawkes

Return to “Sailboats”