Chessie Flyer

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

lattanze

Chessie Flyer

Post by lattanze » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:31 pm

I am considering building the Chessie Flyer. It seems like a lot of folks have built the Fancy Free (similar Sharpie), there are lots of pictures of Fancy Frees being built. But it seems like few have built the Chessie Flyer. Has anyone built this boat? It seems very similar in constructioin to the Fancy Free (except the Flyer is a double ender). Can one person sail the Flyer?

I should say that the Chessie is a bit more attractive to us because it is a little bigger (6 feet), having a full size double birth. We plan to do coastal cruising around the Keys and do a bit of island hopping. I don't want a boat I have to park in the water... So I'd rather not haggle about whether the Chessie is the right boat,.. I just want some more information about it (building it and sailing it).

Thanks in advance,

T.

slug

Re: Chessie Flyer

Post by slug » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:53 pm

I will tell you right off I haven't built the Chessie, though I've built several of Glen-L's plans. I have sailed also.
From all appearances, I think the plan would be a good first time (or anytime for that matter) build. No difficult curves, mild bends, flat bottom planking. All aspects that should make the job simpler and faster.
It also looks like the rigging is short enough to handle simple wood profiles....eliminating those expensive aluminum extrusions.
Downside I see is the lack of headroom in the cabin, but you already know this from your study of the drawings (shallow draft).
Looks like there is room with the hatch open to work at the galley.
Personally, I'd attempt to try and find room for a regular head, but that's our own preference.

Have you tried to chase down any of the builders shown in the photos?

Doug

lattanze

Post by lattanze » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:03 pm

Slug,

Thanks for the info. I never thought of tracking down the chessie builders shown in the photos. Good idea,... hopefully they won't think I am some kind of creepy stalker :lol:

What has me somewhat gun shy is that while there are lots of fancy free pics and examples,... this is not the case for the Chessie... I can't help but wonder why,... and think maybe there is something wrong with the Chessie from a build or handling perspective.

T.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:45 am

T,

I'm inclined to believe the real reason you don't see many of these builds is because of the size. I encountered a similar situation when choosing my Vera Cruise. The sweet spot for builds here seem to be under 20 feet. These a re generally more manageable for most builders, fitting in garages, less trailering and building expenses, smaller motors, etc.

The other popular boats appear to be the woodies (Monaco, Riviera, Belle Isle, etc). I suspect that many builders building these boats are smitten by the look and the chance to own a great looking wooden boat that few other's have.

I've seen far fewer sailboats built here. Many of the sailboats I have seen built are smaller day sailers, not necessarily from Glen L. I think the reasons for those are similar to the comments I mentioned about sub 20 footers.

The Chessie Flyer looks to be a wonderful looking boat and I am sure if you can contact some of the builders, you will get plenty of praise about the design. The main thing about the bigger boats is that they will take a longer commitment in time to complete. If you really want the design, and it seems to fit your needs, then you will will take the time and eventually enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Good luck with whatever design you eventually choose. Believe me when I say, that building one of these wooden beauties is a life changing and very satisfying project.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:31 am

another issue when building a larger boat is the place to build it. the bigger the boat the bigger the building space needed. I was fortunate in that I have access to a large hangar to build in otherwise I would have been building a much smaller boat. Build what you really want. You will be happier in the end.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

lattanze

Post by lattanze » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:37 am

Carl/John,

Thanks for the advise... good points all. Sounds like contacting an owner/builder is the way to go... I will start working on it. I think there is a builder in Texas, I will try to find a contact for them.

I have 13 acres, but I do need to build a shop for the building the boat. It will be a temporary shelter, but substantial.

Thanks again guys.

T.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:38 pm

jamundsen wrote:another issue when building a larger boat is the place to build it. the bigger the boat the bigger the building space needed. I was fortunate in that I have access to a large hangar to build in otherwise I would have been building a much smaller boat. Build what you really want. You will be happier in the end.
This is very true having the space and building to build in is a must this very thing is what has held my build up I am still trying to get it worked out.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H