Question ; Building form Glen L 15

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Bobby D.

Question ; Building form Glen L 15

Post by Bobby D. » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:51 am

Quick Question for anyone who has built a glen 15 or the like. Frames are made and I am about to setup my building form. It appears that I will have to notch into the longitude runners of the building form in order to accommodate the setup lines on the floor timbers on some of the frames . the building form has a 24 inch beam and the set level , in some cases ends short of 24 inches , so the interior of the frames will intersect the support runners with out the set level even touching the form. Do I notch into the building form until the set up level is reached?

Stuart

Re: Question ; Building form Glen L 15

Post by Stuart » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:35 pm

That doesn't sound right. The purpose of the building form is to provide a datum line. While I have never built a 15, and I have built more boats with my mouth than with my hands, the Glen-l designs should be basic and simple for the amateur builder. This would mean, unless there is absolutely no alternative, that the frames should sit squarely and solidly upon the longitudinal support of the building frame set up level. That a frame does not, this indicates to me that one of the frames must be incorrectly fabricated. I would check the plans again to make sure they are dimensionally correct. Pictures never hurt.

Stuart

Roberta

Re: Question ; Building form Glen L 15

Post by Roberta » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:07 am

Some boats do require that the setup members be notched for the framing to be at the correct setup level. My Zip build had two notches, for frame 5-1/2 and frame 4. My Torpedo also required a notch for a frame. This is very common to provide for a larger floor timber and still be able to set the frame at the proper setpoint. You may also need to fair off a portion of the setup members that may extend beyond the framing to allow the planking to fit (also needed to do this on both the Torpedo and Zip.

Here is a picture of my Zip in the building form. You can see Frame 4 sitting in the notch and Frame 5-1/2 also set low and the build form faired awat to accommodate the future planking.

There should be notes in the instruction sheet for the build form regarding the notches and setup. I see Kelsey has a completed Glen L 15. Maybe he could advise you better on the build form.

Roberta
Attachments
Fairing done 001.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".