Glen-L 25 centre board

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Stuart

Glen-L 25 centre board

Postby Stuart » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:10 pm

We got this chunk of steel off the truck by tying a rope through the hole and driving forward pulling it off. Put a big hole in the driveway but it didn't take the bumper off the truck. Weighs over 500lbs but rolled it like an Egyptian monolith and proceeded to grind'r down. A coat of primer then I will epoxy it. Now who wants to help me lift this into the boat? :(

Bill Edmundson

Re: Glen-L 25 centre board

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Stuart

Maybe that old next door neighbor? :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jcallends

Postby jcallends » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:15 am

Since you mentioned the Egyptians it reminded me of my personal experiences. In the past I occasionally have faced the same type of dilemma, an almost impossible task that has to be accomplished. It is then that I think about the Egyptians who built the pyramids thousands of years ago with just a few mechanical devices. Its time to do some imaginative thinking and come up with a unique solution to the problem. Just one thing to remember, the Egyptians killed a lot of people when they built the pyramids, you don't want anybody hurt in getting your problem solved.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » Wed May 11, 2016 4:05 pm

The neighbor, oh gosh will they ever let me run my power tools in peace. No Egyptians were injured in the creation of this keel. It is now coated with epoxy same colour as the hull. The round plates are 1/4" with flat head screws and the nuts were machined also the 82 degree bevel so that everything is flush. The disk shape is because the thing will bump against the trunk walls and I want a reasonable surface to prevent cutting into the trunk wall. The reason this is screwed to the keel is because I don't have 220 at the site and I don't have welder that can do 1" plate. I will use a stainless steel sheave which I will fabricate tomorrow. I am using 3/16 rope but am thinking 1/8" would be ideal. I will put a 1/2" axle through the two plates and pin it so that it is fixed. Then I will try to move this sucker into the trunk..

Stuart

Return to “Sailboats”