Spinner Sails

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Eric-Fai

Spinner Sails

Postby Eric-Fai » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:05 pm

I am looking a couple of small sailboats from Glen-L, the 15 and the 17. And I was wondering if there is a spinner available for either one of these designs? And do the designs have plans or specs outlining a spinner to include the hardware needed.

Second question. Is there a roller jib for either of these 2 designs?

Looking forward to receiving the study plans I recently ordered.

Thanks for the input.
* Eric *

Eric-Fai

Re: Spinker Sails

Postby Eric-Fai » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:14 pm

Ok. I see a typo. Auto correct.

I was talking about a spinker sail.
* Eric *

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Spinner Sails

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:43 pm

Eric-Fai,

Thank you for your interest in our sailboat plans. Neither (or any) of our designs include details for a Spinnaker nor do they detail a roller jib.

Eric-Fai

Postby Eric-Fai » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:39 pm

Thank you for the response.

Is there a supplier that you can think of? Or even another manufacturer of sails that has a craft similar to either of these two designs? If I could find a craft similar within the specs could your designs be modified to handle a spinnaker?
* Eric *

slug

Postby slug » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:52 am

Eric; I suggest you build the boat first and learn to sail, and I'm certain you'll find a spinnaker is not really suitable or required on this small a vessel. A roller furling set up would be more trouble and expense than it"s worth.
You will find you can get in to enough trouble and have enough excitement (tipping!)with the designed sail plan.
Trust me.....I've been there.

Doug

Eric-Fai

Postby Eric-Fai » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:52 am

Doug, thanks for the info.
Last edited by Eric-Fai on Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
* Eric *

Eric-Fai

Postby Eric-Fai » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:01 am

Doug, thanks for the info.

I grew up on a lake and sailed a home built Sailfish, from boys life dating back to 1962, and I still have the plans for that. I also sailed in regattas with a friend on his 14' Pintail. So I have experience in sailing, a number of styles of craft to include catamarans.

I will take your advise with the spinnaker, it is just that they are fun to use. And I was thinking about future thoughts and if there could be a modification. With the 17 having the option of a Genoa, I will probably find that it will be enough sail to have a great time on the water. And I believe that it can be single handed.

I am currently in Up State New York about an hour from the finger lakes. So good bodies of water to sail. It has been some years since I have sailed, but I think once I get back on the water it will all come back to me. And yes, it is a good idea to get the feel of the craft.

Thanks again for the info.
* Eric *

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:17 am

Eric

If you have a friend along, to run straight downwind get a whisker pole and fly the genoa wing on wing. Otherwise, I just sail about 5 degrees off the wind and that keeps the Genny full.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Sailboats”