Stem height

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Levaggik

Stem height

Post by Levaggik » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:09 pm

Good evening, I am new to the forum and to boatbuilding. I have decided on the glen L14 as my first build but am presently stumped by the 4th frame and stem. Can someone tell me why I was supposed to cut a 1" X 2" notch out of the end of the building form then install a 1" X 2" cleat in the notched area? This makes no sense to me. I have already mounted the stem to the 4th frame and néed to secure it to the form with a height of 211/8". How do I obtain that height? Do I raise or lower the 4 th frame? Please help.

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Stem height

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:05 am

Welcome to the Forum! The notch and cleat at the end of the building form extends across the set up members to help support frame #4 since it's at the very end of the form. The stem is blocked below the breasthook with wood until you get the required height. The location of frame #4 doesn't move to accommodate the stem--that remains where noted with the set up level of the frame matching that of the building form. I hope this makes sense...