Ballast Lead

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

jimbox

Re: Ballast Lead

Postby jimbox » Fri May 04, 2018 1:27 am

Mike Worrall wrote:The Francis Drake (FG) has internal ballast. I used lead 'pigs' or 'ingots' (conjure a mental picture of the gold stored in Ft. Knox); in effect 50 lb 'bricks'. Using a compound miter saw with a non-ferrous blade, I cut each piece to fit into the keel cavity packing each as close together as possible. Any remaining voids were then filled with shot. Into each course (or row) I poured neat epoxy, covered with a layer of 18 oz WR. Repeat with next course to a total of 4 K lbs. I figure this amounted to about 250 trips up / down the ladder...

Mike Worrall
G-L Francis Drake
C'Flex

Thank you very much for the advice. It is true that it is rather difficult to get into such a project if you do not have the right techniques.

Eenarl

Re: Ballast Lead

Postby Eenarl » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:26 am

Lead like all metals is expensive today. As boat-builders, we want and need building material for free or as minimal cost that can be had. Here's a good secret: Old unwanted X-ray, radioisotope imaging equipment. The smaller vendor's have refurbished equipment that they keep for spare parts back in their warehouse's and shop work area's. It worked for me. 1500lbs...

Return to “Sailboats”