Amigo almost ready to re-launch

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

ButchSL

Amigo almost ready to re-launch

Postby ButchSL » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:03 pm

I am about to put my Amigo in the water after being under a bow roof shed in my back yard for 14 years. I stripped her down to the beams and rebuilt due to deck rot and deck house rot and interior. Shortened the cockpit, added a raised aft locker and added coamings, Ray electric motor, Composting toilet. The deck was 1/4” teak strips epoxied on 1/4” marine ply on western hemlock, the plywood was almost totally rotted, beams were in good condition.

I have one issue to resolve before i sand / paint / varnish, launch. I asked the following question 9 years ago. I have checking in the hull below the waterline. I opened up some of the checking and filled with epoxy / filler. The rest I might just squirt epoxy and filler in or just water the hull so the wood will swell and close the checking gaps. They are only at the most 1/16” wide and not through to the interior. I don’t understand what the structural strength of the hull comes from. Since the Amigo is strip-planked, the ribs are spaced more than a traditional plank-on-frame boat. In a traditional boat the ribs support the hull and the planks are there to keep out the water. I want to know if the ribs on the Amigo can do the same, that is, support the hull alone, or are the strip-planks needed as added support which the ribs can not do alone?

The reason I’m asking is if the ribs are not capable of supporting the boat alone, then I need to take more care and open up checking and epoxy in a dutchman rather than just letting the wood swell with wetting.

So, are there any naval architects here who can answer my structural question concerning the strip-planked Amigo.

I have pictures before and after I finished the deck but don’t know how to add them to a post.

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Amigo almost ready to re-launch

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Butch,

The strip planking is essential to the strength and integrity of the hull and needs to be solid. It's possible that because it was exposed over so many years, that the epoxy holding the strips together (we assume you used epoxy) is pulling the wood apart. So you definitely need to fill the voids with epoxy as you're doing and if necessary add filler strips. Don't wet the wood to swell it.

ButchSL

Re: Amigo almost ready to re-launch

Postby ButchSL » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:21 pm

Thank You Gayle!

Return to “Sailboats”