New Glen-L 14 Build

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

aspags88

New Glen-L 14 Build

Post by aspags88 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:09 pm

First a bit of an introduction. I'm an mechanical engineer by trade with a love for the outdoors and very little sailing experience. I've spent the past couple years building out my Jeep for off-road use and consider that project done which left a hole for hobbies that get my hands dirty making things. After some consideration and a desire to spend more time out on the water I decided I would attempt to build a boat.

I settled on the Glen-L 14 after some consideration of available space to build/anticipated price/local lake sizes/ and my thoughts on a good size boat to learn on. I bought the plans and the boatbuilding with plywood book early this year and have been reading through the book studying the plans.

I'm finally ready to go pick up the first wood order to start building up the frames. I'm anticipating this will be a relatively slow process for me but the goal would be to build up the building form sometime in the spring. I opted to start a build thread in hopes that it will force me to take pictures along the way. This is by far the biggest project I've taken on (unless of course you count home ownership haha) and want to make sure I capture the process along the way.

AJ

Gayle Brantuk

Re: New Glen-L 14 Build

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:11 am

AJ,

I'm so glad you'll be sharing your Glen-L 14 build with us. That's a beautiful design and a great sailor. Enjoy your build!

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:16 am

We always like pictures.

Stuart

Rational Root

Post by Rational Root » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:33 am

This may be of some help...

http://davesboat.blogspot.ie/

It details my build of a glen l 14 from start to finish

perhaps start with the oldest posts, and work forwards...
Hey! I built a boat ! No Really, I did !
http://davesboat.blogspot.com/

aspags88

Post by aspags88 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:04 pm

Thanks all,

I will certainly take a look through your blog Rational Root, I've been enjoying other people's builds threads and it will be nice to see one of the boat I'm working on!

Spent most of the weekend getting rained in so unable to pick up any wood. Today the weather cleared long enough to get to the store. Picked up some quartersawn white oak for the frames, a sheet of 3/4" Okume for the stem, transom and other various pieces, and a sheet of 1/4" Okume for the frame gussets. Not all of the wood I will need but certainly enough to get me going on the frames.

Also picked up some cherry to work on a wine rack my wife has been asking about for some time now. That project will take a bit of priority but should wrap up pretty quickly. Made it halfway through rough cutting the pieces of that before the rain came in today. I'll be taking another, hopefully drier, day off later this week to hopefully start cutting some wood!

Hopefully the picture comes through, still sorting out how to do this.

AJ

aspags88

Post by aspags88 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:04 pm

Well life got busy, had a transition to a new position at work that turned out to be quite time consuming and needed to finish some other tasks around the house before I was able to get started with the build. The good news is all of that is now done and I can start thinking about the boat. Over the past week or two I was able to clean up some room in the basement to use as a workshop to get started building the frames. The build form will have to go in the garage due to constraints getting large objects out of the basement, but this provides a good spot to stay warm over the winter and get things going.

Today I was able to get the plans laid out and start to formulate a plan for laying the frame pieces onto the wood I bought. After some thoughts on layout I managed to get the side pieces for frame 1 and 2, the two bottom pieces for the transom frame and 1 side piece for the transom frame onto one of my boards with some room to spare to make the 1 inch cleats required for between the gussets. The carbon paper wasn't leaving me a sufficient marking on the oak to make cuts, so I used a small finish nail to transfer the key geometry points to the board and a straight edge to connect the dots. The side pieces for the frames have a nice curve to the inside so I started cutting these pieces out with the Jigsaw. The parts are only rough cut at this point, sanding and final shaping will take place once I get everything rough cut.

I did come across a question while I was studying my plans. The deck beams have a note that say leave long for fitting to frames. Should that be interpreted as cut the beam longer than as drawn continuing the contour past what is specified on the drawing, or should I cut to the dimensions on the drawing?

dbischa

Post by dbischa » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:48 am

I left my deck beams until I needed to install them. I did a similar thing to you, leaving pin holes in the timber to mark out my patterns and then connected the dots but I didn't cut out the deck beam until I'd flipped the hull and had built in the other deck members. I'm building the Glen l 13 and looking at some build photos of the 14 it should be pretty much the same. I think I continued the contour of the deck beam from the plans on a couple more inches but in the end it wasn't needed. But anyway, if I were you, I'd leave this member until later and focus on parts of the build that matter at this stage.

dbischa

Post by dbischa » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:50 am

By the way, congrats on making a start :-)

Rational Root

Post by Rational Root » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Congrats on making first cuts.
Let me suggest that you consider running a roundover bit over the parts of the frames that will be facing "in" to the boat after you glue the frames together.

In hind sight I would certainly have done it.

Just a slight roundover, 1/8" perhaps.

It is pretty easy when the frames are lying on the workbench. and impossible when they are part of the boat.
Hey! I built a boat ! No Really, I did !
http://davesboat.blogspot.com/

dbischa

Post by dbischa » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:08 am

I agree, I would have done the same if I'd thought of it. I managed to get a 1/8 bit for my dremel but the jig I had to make for it meant I couldn't get to all edges of the frames once they were part of the boat.

aspags88

Post by aspags88 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Thank you for the suggestion guys, I will certainly keep that in mind after the frames get assembled.

I was asking about the deck beams as I was trying to sort out the layout of parts on the planks I bought. The 4 inch pieces for the deck beams will fit nicely with the 3 inch pieces for the lower frame pieces on frames 1-3. For now I can lay out the lower frame pieces and reserve the wood for later on the process for the deck beams. I think I have enough wood for all of the frame pieces as well as the deck beams already purchased, will need to keep tracing out parts to be sure.

Also on the plan for the near future will be to cut out all of the pieces from the 3/4 inch plywood. I have the last week of the year off of work so I am looking forward to quite a bit of progress over that stretch of time. I have to admit the amount of work is overwhelming when you are first getting started, I've been trying to break it down into small easily achievable steps, but even that seems like a challenge as I start to get into the swing of it all.

aspags88

Post by aspags88 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Well, it's been a while since my last post I figure I should give a bit of an update. The process has been moving slower than I had expected it to as life has taken a priority of boat building, and despite everything I read on the forums about this being a long process I went in with the idea that I would have no trouble moving right along. I am still on track to have the frames finished by spring time which would be the earliest I would be able to assemble the building form anyway. Today I got the both of the frame members cut for Frame 4 which is the first "full set" I have so naturally I laid them out to get a better idea of scale of the boat. It was exciting to see something resembling a frame. I still have 6 frame members to cut out, gussets to cut, lots of sanding and then I should be able to start assembling some frames!

One of the things that's been taking my time from boat building was a wine rack I've been trying to finish. It will eventually get mounted to the wall but I was happy with the end result. This was my first woodworking project that was built from plans, my wife insisted I start with something smaller than a boat. :lol: :lol:

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:25 pm

That's a good first project; looks good. I am an Engineer as well (Electrical) and love woodworking.

One observation I noticed (hope you don't mind the nit pick) that the finish looks like it's not taking where your glue joints are. I think you may have had some glue squeeze out that did not get fully removed. The trick that I use is to use a wet toothbrush to scrub off the glue in my joints before it hardens and then wipe it away There are many schools of thought on this but this is my preferred method. Here is a good article as well with another approach : http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/article ... ueeze-out/

You may also want to consider breaking your edges to give it a softer look/feel. Maybe you did this already but I can't quite tell from the picture. You can hit it with some sand paper, do a simple or complex router detail, or a chamfer with a hand plane, lots of options. It will help hold the finish better, its easier on the eye/hand.

Thanks for your pics, looks like we are building similar boats (I'm building the Glen-l 17, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30428

Here are my latest non-boat project, hand cut 12 piece match with waterfall edge and a hand cut inlaid Mariners Star.
Attachments
star.jpg
12 piece match.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

aspags88

Post by aspags88 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Milhouse,

That is exactly what happened, I didn't notice until I tried to stain. I attempted to clean it up with some sanding but I didn't have anything to get into the corner really well. I don't mind at all constructive criticism is what makes us better. I was overall happy with the finish but will certainly take notes for the next project to hopefully avoid the mistakes. As for the edges all I did was sand lightly there to soften the edge. I actually have another set of stuff cut for a 2nd wine rack so I'm looking forward to seeing the progression there (one of my friends wanted one as well). I will certainly check out your build thread, looks like the sailboat side of this forum is a much smaller group so nice to see other people working on boats. The 17 was on the short list of options for me but ultimately decided on a smaller (practice) boat with the eventual goal of something bigger with a small cabin.

As for my boat, things are progressing still, I finished rough cutting all of the frames which was very exciting for me.

Next up on the list will be to cut out all of the various pieces from a sheet of 3/4 inch Okume. I need to do a bit more research on that as I'm not sure what the right method is for tracing the pieces like the transom and floor gussets that are only shown as 1/2 side on the plans. In addition I've been researching different methods for sanding, I think I will be buying a sanding disc for my tablesaw for the shaping and will continue looking at the pros/cons of a belt sander vs. a ROS for the finish sanding.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:52 pm

I would not recommend using a belt sander to do finish sanding.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139