Glen-L 17 overnighter sloop build

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: Glen-L 17 overnighter sloop build

Post by Milhouse » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:48 pm

I started glassing her! (About time, I know :)) So far I have glass on half of the boat. I had a friend help me for the first piece last Sunday and it went well. Used West system 105 + 206 for the bottom and it took 8 hours for it to become tack free (temp ranged from about 65-70 degrees). I put a second coat of 105+205 that night to fill the weave better and still have a chemical bond so I didn't need to risk sanding into the weave. I also used 105+205+407 to fair the glass edge. It was then sanded last night using a Rotex 150 and long board at 80 Grit

I epoxied the second piece of glass on the side today by myself without incident (its about 65 degrees) I used 105-205 this time to speed up the hardening rate.

I used the tape method and it works really well, I learned not to let the glass overlap the edge of the tape on the first try and implemented that on the second piece and it worked really good.
Attachments
glass1.jpg
glass.jpg
glass2.jpg
Last edited by Milhouse on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:00 pm

Jim, looking nice. You know of course that you'll be setting up a competition between the two boats as to who is going to get your most attention. Too bad you can't channel that into them fiberglassing and finishing themselves! :lol: :lol:

Sailboats are so cool. If I were younger I would build one of those next.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Carl - Exactly! My wife was asking what the heck I was doing working on the sailboat :) Since my friend expressed interested in helping out it was some pretty good motivation to give it a go.

Its a perfect temperature to do the glassing now and I figured if i don't do it now then it will get put off even longer when it starts getting colder. It also nicer working inside since it gets dark so early :)

I think I will still be focusing more on the Ski boat overall so I can get her into the water this summer.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Ah this coming summer. Sure wish I could make that deadline. Just no way, too much to do. But Spring 2020 is still a possibility. We'll see!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:59 am

I got two more sections glassed just the port side remains. The fiberglass process is much easier than I thought it would be; even doing it single handed is manageable. I'm sure the temperature helps a lot though, doing it at 90-100 degrees in the shop would probably stress me out

At 65-70 degrees the 105+205 (fast) epoxy is just about perfect. It does not start to tack until the entire section has been wetted out. It takes about 3.5 hours to be able to cut off the excess glass at the edges.

I learned to take off the tape, which keeps the glass from sliding, before starting to roll in the epoxy in the vicinity of the tape. When I was leaving the tape on it prevented the glass from moving around how it wanted to be and caused some small bubbles that didn't want to roll out easily. I also learned that the roller instead of the squeegee seemed to stress the glass less leaving less bubbles to work out.

I just added a second coat to the third section this morning and added the fairing compound to the edges. I am waiting for it to harden so I can sand it to prepare the last section of glass to go on tonight or tomorrow am.

I am not planning on glassing the transom. As you can see I didn't round the edge and wrap glass around it; any thoughts about this?
Attachments
glassc.jpg
glassb.jpg
glassa.jpg
Last edited by Milhouse on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:47 am

Very nice Jim. I too thought it would be much more difficult than it was to glass the boat. Don't know if leaving transom unglassed is good or bad. Just wondering why?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:04 pm

DrBryanJ wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:47 am
Just wondering why?
Thanks Bryan!

The transom is going to be bright and even though the weave will be hardly noticeable I don't really want to risk screwing up the bright-work and leaving a white spot(s). The transom should not get any wear which is my understanding of why to glass. If someone ran into the transom with a pointy boat I guess the glass would help in that case, bad day either way...

I plan to paint around the edge of the transom about 1" to cover the plywood "end grain". I'm open to other ideas too maybe a shiny metal trim piece?
Attachments
transom.jpg
Here is what it looks like with a fresh coat of epoxy on it
transom.jpg (11.46 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:08 pm

I didn't add enough thicker to the fairing compound and it sagged a little. I started sanding it but it was not quite dry and it was gumming up the paper. I reached for my trusty block plane and it cut shavings quite nicely. Don't tell Lie-Nelson that I used their plane for this :D
Attachments
before.jpg
Before
after.jpg
After
plane.jpg
Epoxy Shavings
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:35 pm

Yesterday I got the port side glassed. Two small fiascos...

1. I ran out of resin about a cup too soon so I needed to run to the store (25 min each way!), with the glass not fully wetted out, to pick some up so I could finish the job. I got back before it was too late and was able to pick up where I left off. Before I started this piece of cloth I thought it was going to be close and indeed it was :D

2. The aft portion of the glass that was wetted out and very nice and flat (when I left) decided that it wanted to slide down about 2 inches which caused some ripples in the cloth. There was still plenty of overlap at the seam even after it slid. The epoxy was not hard but it was too tacky to the cloth moved back into the desired location. Lesson learned to still keep some tape on it for awhile to keep it from sliding very slowly. There is still plenty of overlap at the seam even after it slid. There is epoxy fully under the ripples so its not like an air bubble under the cloth, it just didn't want to lay down flat after it slid cause it had a sort of kink in it. Today I sanded it out flat and sanded into the cloth a bit but not all the way through so I think all will be good.

I may end up glassing the transom after all...Still mulling it over. Any opinions one way or another?

If I do I will probably:

1. Round over all the transom edges
2. Cut a narrow strips and epoxy it in to reinforce the edge since the other pieces didn't overlap the corners of the transom. Maybe have them come over about 1.5" over the edge. I can't use fairing compound here, since it will be bright, so I I'll have to carefully feather the edge by sanding it. I will have to not sand into the epoxy on the transom, maybe ill put some tape and paper down to protect it.
3. Glass it and do a MUCH better job then I just did on the port side!!!
Attachments
glassed 2.jpg
glassed1.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:55 am

I glassed the transom only to the water line. Was afraid of the weave showing through my bright work
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:58 pm

Milhouse,

I used something called "surfacing veil" on the plywood that was to be varnished. This is a 3-oz. fiberglass cloth similar to 6-oz. cloth, but thin and delicate with an extremely fine weave. Think silk. After a couple coats of epoxy and four coats of varnish it's completely invisible in every light condition. Even in direct sunlight there is no visible refraction of the weave.

Maybe you could try an experiment with some scrap plywood. Coat it with fiberglass cloth and epoxy, then several coats of varnish. When cured and dry, take it out in the sunshine and view it from various angles to see if you can detect any refraction from the weave. If not then you should be good to go with fiberglassing your transom.