Glen l 13 launched

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

dbischa

Glen l 13 launched

Post by dbischa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:15 am

Hi everyone,

Last Thursday I officially launched my Glen l 13 after almost 3 years of building. She sails beautifully, with very little weather helm and only the lightest touch needed on the tiller.

I installed the centreboard too far forward in the centreboard trunk and it doesn't pivot down very far before the front corner hits the front of the trunk. It only extends a small amount into the water, maybe a foot. I was still able to make ground up wind despite this. Tomorrow I'll take the board out and do it properly.

I'm not happy with the paint work but I've scratched and scraped it enough getting it ready for launching (and while in the water) that I'm not too worried.

I built the plywood mast and hinged it just above the reinforced section of the base of the mast. I added extra blocking above this point so it wasn't hollow.

I added seats that weren't detailed on the plans and I increased the height of the floor frame members for frame 2 such that they were level with frames 1 and 3. This allowed me to install level floorboards extending most the way from the transom knee to the stem.

I built a launching dolly out of aluminium and had a trailer made for it.

I'm not sure yet how much it cost me all up, I've got the receipts but haven't been brave enough to add them up yet!

Anyway here are some photos :-)
2017-01-16_19.28.49.jpg
2017-01-16_19.28.10.jpg

Stuart

Re: Glen l 13 launched

Post by Stuart » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:00 am

Fantastic.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:29 am

Very nice.

Enjoy!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:48 am

AWESOME! That's just gotta feel great!

Did the kids have a good time? ...and do you think that they will get the boat building bug too? It is somewhat contagious, you know. :D

My dad used to take me sailing. He had showed me so many photos of sailboats that I knew ahead of time what to expect my first time on the water. For example, I knew that, when the boat was on a reach, it was going to heel and we would move to the high side. But my cousin went along and he was NOT prepared for that and I think he spent that entire first ride in complete terror. 8)

By the time I was a teenager, I was becoming interested in catamarans. The first time I sailed one of those, I was amazed at the way it did NOT heel. The other thing that I noticed was the way that big waves would push it sideways where the monohulls always gracefully cut through.

Oh yeah, sailing is fun.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

dbischa

Post by dbischa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:48 pm

The boys did enjoy it. I took them out in a hire boat a few months ago but it was a horrible tippy fibreglass thing with low sides and when the weather turned I capsized it. They were a bit apprehensive about sailing again after that. They are looking forward to going out in my boat again.

I promised my boys we would make a boat together (this one was almost completely myself). I'm thinking of an ozracer RV with the sail config for kids. They'll get bored with another 3 year build so it needs to be something quick to build and easy to store. Anyway in the meantime I'll be getting other jobs done that I've neglected for a while :wink:

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Congrats!!! That is a huge accomplishment to be proud of!

Some closeup pics of the work you did would be great too!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:17 am

Congratulations! The boat looks great and it's wonderful that you plan on building another boat with your children--they will learn so much and will remember that all their lives.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:12 pm

I agree with Gayle!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build