Tango

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

daschwar

Tango

Postby daschwar » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:44 am

Hello,

I am in the process of getting ready to wire my Tango. I am wondering where to ground and also battery storage, where have others placed batteries and how did you handle venting . Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave Schwartz

Stuart

Re: Tango

Postby Stuart » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:15 pm

I had many doubts about this in my 25' Glen-l centreboard sloop. I placed the battery as close as I could fore and aft, and as close in to the centre board as I could. I was fortunate because I had a seat just about in the right spot so located it under. I have a pull start alternative outboard motor so I decided only to have one battery but a significantly large one and a solar charger. Outboard also has a generator. The battery is on the starboard side so I tried to locate equal weight on the port side. Not easy to find the distance and height comparison.

The problem of venting is a difficult one. I had limited space and went with a larger battery which did not allow for a battery box. It's in a large compartment and strapped but I may wrap the battery in a plastic bag and run a plastic tube up somewhere using nylon ties to seal everything off. My car has the battery in the trunk and I have never had a problem. Using the right battery may be the answer as some don't essentially have off gassing.

I decided not to wire for shore power at this time. I can put in a single AC receptacle at some future date but with LED's and such, the current needs are not what they used to be. I did some calculations and I should be good for a few days without any charging.

Stuart

daschwar

Postby daschwar » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:13 am

I was wondering about grounding. DI'd you ground to a steel centerboard? Wondering about electrolysis.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Think the term is "bonding". Using AC shore power can be very dangerous if not done correctly. The 'ground' sometimes goes hot and swimmers many yards away turn up dead because the current starts to stun them and they drown not knowing from where. The ground is the opposite pole in DC. I probably would ground to the centre board. Lightning strikes will probably go through the centre board too unless I put a line over the side from the standing rigging.

Stuart

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:28 am

In DC circuits the neg. is called the ground. You are referring to what is a ground also. But, it is an earth ground/bonding ground. It is also sometimes called a static ground as it releases any static electricity. The DC system itself doesn't really need a bond ground. If you have an engine that the DC system in connected to, the engine is the ground.

On an AC system for shore power only all systems need a separate ground wire, 3 wire. From the switch/breaker/fuse panel the shore power cable has a ground wire back to the shore plug.

If you have a generator, now you need a bonding ground for the AC system. This could go to your metal centerboard or a separate bonding bar. It can also be the same as the static ground. NEVER try to connect and use the generator and shore power at the same time :!: If you're very lucky, you'll just trip the main breaker. If you're not lucky it will destroy you're generator.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Sailboats”