Moulded Carling for my glen-l 15

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Mike c

Moulded Carling for my glen-l 15

Postby Mike c » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi guys. Haven't been on the forum in a while but I have now run into something I don't understand. I'm at the point that I am ready to build the carling. The plan notes talk about building a 5/8" carling moulded to a 2 1/2" width. I'm sure that as soon as someone explains it it will be so simple won't believe I didn't understand.

Some help would be great. Hope I have explained it properly.

Thanks

JimmY

Re: Moulded Carling for my glen-l 15

Postby JimmY » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:27 pm

My understanding is that the carlings need to be curved fore and aft to match the shape of the deck. What the plan note is saying is that once you cut the carling to match the deck (use a batten to transfer the curve), make the bottom parallel to it so the carling is 2 1/2" wide. In the "Boatbuilding with Plywood" book, look on page 208 and it explains this. It also says that the bottom of the carling can be straight if you like. If I'm correct, on the L-15 the carlings are fully exposed along the sides of the cockpit, so you may want the bottom curved for aesthetics.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Mike c

Re: Moulded Carling for my glen-l 15

Postby Mike c » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:03 am

Jimmy Thanks! It's a guy thing. Forgot to read the instructions.

First time I've read the duct tape line. Laughed out-loud!

Thanks again.

Return to “Sailboats”