Glen-L 15 - Chain Plate Blocking

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Mike c

Glen-L 15 - Chain Plate Blocking

Postby Mike c » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:14 am

Hi folks, I've fiber glassed and varnished the hull and turned it upright. Wanting to put the chain plate blocks in place. Instructions talk about gluing and screwing them to the planking. Sounds like I was supposed to put this block in place before finishing the hull. Is that so and if it is can the block be glued and or fiber glassed in place without putting screws through my beautiful varnished planking?

JimmY

Re: Glen-L 15 - Chain Plate Blocking

Postby JimmY » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Everyone always says that the epoxy is stronger than the screws, and the screws are just there to hold it in place until the epoxy sets. Can you enlarge them to fit between the chine and sheer to tie it into the structure?
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Mike c

Postby Mike c » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:49 am

Yes I can. Thanks! I've had a couple of occasions where I've needed to do just what you have recommended. Question is how do you use screws in this case. I've used a couple of small blocks on each side glued in place and screwed into the blocking. Also used a piece of plywood cut to shape, glued and screwed over the two. These work but don't feel very efficient. Suggestion?

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:16 am

I would just cut the plate to fit tight to the rest of the structure (curve of plywood planking, chine, sheer, frames), rough up all the mating surfaces (60 or 80 grit), lay on the epoxy and clamp in place. Make sure you get good squeeze out all around, but not too much, and let it cure.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Mike c

Postby Mike c » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:32 am

Jim Thanks. Great help to a rookie like me.

Return to “Sailboats”