Glen-L 'SPIRIT'

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

mwaldi3

Glen-L 'SPIRIT'

Postby mwaldi3 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:13 am

Hey,

I recently purchased a Glen-L 'SPIRIT' which was built in Boston, UK somewhere between 1997 and 2007.
The yacht looks to be in good condition, but needs a bit of TLC to get her back on the water and there is a lot of unfinished bits to do.
I unfortunately don't have a copy of the plans however have ordered the study plans which will hopefully help. :D

One concern I have is after inspecting the keel below the engine I see that its not actually been filled with the concrete & Steel ballast. the rest of the Keel has and its only the last 3 or 4 sections which are not.

My question is this actually needed or not? I dont want to add extra weight below the engine if its not needed?
I also wouldn't mind filling these and then sealing them with fiberglass or steel to avoid any water finding its way down the keel.
Either way it may mean me lifting the engine out to get access to the keel so wanted to explore all the options first.

Any advice or help would be great!

Cheers

Mark

slug

Re: Glen-L 'SPIRIT'

Postby slug » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:09 pm

Mark; Without seeing the original plans there is no way of knowing whether ALL the sections should be filled with ballast. This may not necessarily be required, as the placement of ballast and amount is determined by the designer. On my Kailunai 34 (Ted Brewer design) there was only a small portion of the keel filled with lead. Maybe some one with experience in this design can help.

Doug

mwaldi3

Re: Glen-L 'SPIRIT'

Postby mwaldi3 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your response. I agree. It would be great to see the plans to know for sure. I am hoping the study plans hold some clues.
I'm just not sure if it was intentional or a left over bit that needs completing.

I am hoping there will be another builder on the forum with some experience with the spirit design.

Worst case its going to get filled with something as I dont like the thought of an open keel filling with water... :lol:

Cheers

Mark

Return to “Sailboats”