Starpath 44 project boat

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

SailBug

Starpath 44 project boat

Post by SailBug » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Come across Glen-L Starpath 44 project boat listed for sale. i'm gonna go look at it on weekend. Fiberglass hull, 14 foot beam, 6 foot draft, 2 cabins, 1 head (toilet, shower, 10 gal holding tank), aluminum main and mizzen masts/booms, SS standing rigging, bow railing, SS deck stanchions, deck hardware, running rigging, 32 HP Isuzu diesel 200 gal tank, 120 gal fresh water, two Lewmar 54 winches,1 Barient 24 winch, hydraulic wheel steering, 45 lb plow anchor with 300 feet chain, Nilsson windlass, LPG stove, hot water heater (AC), refrigerator (AC), two batteries with switch, charger, AC circuit panel, DC circuit panel, VHF radio, interior lights.

Anybody own a sailboat like that?
Attachments
00404_2DdZIIdvmGK_1200x900.jpg
00G0G_hHAjZzDhHAW_1200x900.jpg
00s0s_lVuOmHzpmf_1200x900.jpg

Mike Worrall

Re: Starpath 44 project boat

Post by Mike Worrall » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:34 am

Interested in what you found (assuming you did indeed take a look...?) Hazarding a guess, it seems likely that no more than a dozen or so Starpath have been built, based on the size + length of time required to construct, plus the lack of 'customer photos' here on the Glen-l site. You indicate that the hull is fiberglass; the Plans allow for either 'foam core' or C-Flex fiberglass construction. It would be good to know which method was used, for 'future reference' if for no other reason. Too, it'd be good to know what was used for ballast material, with 100% lead being the gold standard, though the Plans allow for iron or steel. If the party that built 'her' is the party that is selling, have a long conversation about his / her processes, materials used, documentation (photos, etc). Looks like a worthy project, assuming a fair price...

mrintense

Re: Starpath 44 project boat

Post by mrintense » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:20 am

Based upon my own experience with building the smaller Vera Cruise, I suspect this is either for an owner that couldn't (or wouldn't) complete the boat, or someone who has since picked the project up and decided for whatever reason to not finish. These big boats take a sizable amount of time and money to complete. However, like Mike says, if you have the means and the price is reasonable and the condition is acceptable (in build quality and overall condition), it could be a heck of a deal.

I must also preface this with the fact that I am not an expert on this boat (or sailboats in general), but common sense on something this big, would dictate a survey or at least a knowledgable second party.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build