Ok, Heres My Question...

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Matilda

Ok, Heres My Question...

Postby Matilda » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:06 pm

Im installing a dagger board. Im at a loss to find any info on how high above the water line to place the top of the DB well. Matilda draws 2 feet. She has a long shoal keel. The keel draws 1 foot by itself.

chugalug

Re: Ok, Heres My Question...

Postby chugalug » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:03 am

I'm not a sailor but have you tried"Sailnet"?
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:33 am

I hope i'm not breaking any rules by posting this. But did a quick search for you. Found this on another site.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?8369-Advice-needed-on-centerboard-trunk-height
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

Matilda

Postby Matilda » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:24 am

Thank you Joe. Matilda is 19' so no thwart. Im thinkin 6" above the w/l with a well fitting DB and with a sealing, quick release cam latch, hinged cover over the DB when down or just in rough weather. Im not really worried about a couple pints or a gallon of water in bad weather every now and then. I have serious pumps anyway. Gotta nice pair of loafers too. My sailing grounds will be Havasu, the larger reservoirs up north and all the way to Alaska via the Inside Passage. Lots of deep, deep, and very deep water but not much open ocean at all and anchorages are common and within a couple of miles. Ive been in the mountains too long.

Matilda

Postby Matilda » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:41 am

I just had a thought...Matilda is very traditional with high aspect appendages that I would like to keep out of view so Ive been avoiding showing them above the house deck or waterline. If I DID go with a well all the way through the house deck then...problem over with one sheave at the top of the well and a lwire rope leading aft to a reel winch...right?..so, all Ill need is a way to lock it from goin up or down, right? I have no experience in wood hulls or wood decks at all or CB's or DB's. The well would also be an excellent deck support.

Return to “Sailboats”