Can the rigging from a Hunter 146 be used on Glen l 15?

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Peterson

Can the rigging from a Hunter 146 be used on Glen l 15?

Post by Peterson » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:01 pm

My uncle gave me a hunter 146 that has cracks on deck that are not repairable or at least not worth it to me. Can I use the mast and some other parts of the rigging on a Glen L 15. Sail areas beam ect seem similar. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks

Stuart

Re: Can the rigging from a Hunter 146 be used on Glen l 15?

Post by Stuart » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:43 pm

I am not an expert but certain things are universal. If you have a boom and gooseneck the runs on the mast then those are the main elements. The aluminum mast can be cut at the top or bottom to suit the 15, or you can add a tabernacle or step under the mast to raise it a few inches. Same with the boom length can be cut at the gooseneck. The mast head can most likely be used if both boats are mast head sloops. Finding that, the standing rigging is fairly straight forward. The length of the forestay may have to be adjusted, same with the shrouds and back stay but the parts should be useable same as for the running rigging. Chain plates can be made to work. The rest should be able to be transferred from the other boat. The only problem that might prevent it is if the mast and boom are too short. It is very hard to recut a board longer.

Stuart

Peterson

Re: Can the rigging from a Hunter 146 be used on Glen l 15?

Post by Peterson » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Thank you