Getting the boat to the water

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Stuart

Getting the boat to the water

Post by Stuart » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:46 pm

I recently moved and the boat is 2 hours away. Its ready to float but not to sail so I am going to launch it now. Problem I have is nobody wants to truck it to the lake. Some say too big, and some say too small and mostly they all say, not interested. So a friend had a heavy duty car trailer and I guessed I would need it because the boat weighs over 3500lbs. I was trying to fit the square peg in the round hole and I knew it but felt I could shift the weight around and let it hang over here and there. As I lowered it down on the cradle I built it just kept going down. I left the hoist and walked around. The tongue was way up in the air and the back end was on the ground. So much for the weight balance act. I have found another trailer and will weld some bits here and there and put brakes on it and if I get that done before the snow...well it will be in the water.

Stuart
IMG_0756.JPG
Attachments
transom.jpg

JimmY

Re: Getting the boat to the water

Post by JimmY » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:57 am

Have you tried the "Shipping Wars" guys (Uship)?

There has got to be someone with a flat bed trailer who wants to make a buck.

Awesome looking boat, where have you been hiding this one?
Last edited by JimmY on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:21 pm

That looks amazing! How far does it need to go? Glen-l 25 right? If so then it's legally trailerable without a wide load permit right?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:35 pm

:D maybe weld on a metal toolbox on tongue and start adding barbell weights :D (or tools)
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:05 am

Wow Stuart, really nice. So few sailboats get made, but really, they are elegance personified.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks replies. The saga continues. Found an older trailer and think I can convert it because my boat has the swing keel so does not ride so high. Will try to cut out a section for the swing keel to hang into. Will cut the boards out and put a double padded hinge on each corner of the uprights. The shock towers had rusted off so will cut them all off and make new ones all round. Everything is so rusted its just nasty knuckle busting, burnt finger frustration all the way. Was going to put electric brakes on them but my axel stub back plate is an off size. Only thing was to cut the axel and weld in all new. I was warned the electric brakes short out when going into the water and the guys down at Niagara Trailer said, use hydraulic because the wheels have the hydraulic system already installed, its just that somebody cut the lines off. So now am checking that out and see how complicated that can be. Winters coming time to get a goin.
Attachments
IMG_0850.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Stuart

Can't you get that old neighbor to come help?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:53 pm

Oh yes Bill, the poor bastards miss me cause I moved away but the boat is still there. I will take the muffler off something handy and run it on an off while I am there so that they don't feel rejected. Found everything I need to get the hydraulics working again.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p4200066e

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:19 am

Hi Stuart,

Your boat looks great! Congrats on getting it this far!

I am about to lift my boat with a gantry as well, any tips or additional pics of your setup?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Stella36

Post by Stella36 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:00 am

Great job, Stuart! It seems wonderful.

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:12 am

Many thanks for the compliments. Could not find any parts for the trailer brake system so purchased two new 3500 axels with electric brakes and clamped them in the existing springs. I have fitted uprights and so on and have set it up nearly 60/40 with about 330lbs on the tongue. More to do and the boat is on the trailer, mostly, but the springs flattened out so need to put in helper springs. Then some more bits and .....

In turning the boat using a scaffold frame I needed 4 chain blocks. The lines are crossed over and connected to the centre of the hull, underneath, fore and aft. Using the hoists on one side the hull is lifted 90 degrees and then the other set of hoists pull it over 180 deg. That's how I remember it but as I recall, something went wrong somewhere. The lines have to be crossed opposite sides, of that I am almost certain.

Stuart