Catalina 22 repairs

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Locutus

Re: Catalina 22 repairs

Post by Locutus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:17 pm

My nice, crispy new mainsail arrived today.
IMG_0857.JPG

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:46 am

Nice!!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:43 pm

I lowered the keel to inspect the bronze pin, and sent some photos to Catalina technical support for an opinion on whether anything needs replacing. I hope not because the pin wouldn't budge when I tapped the end with a hammer. The keel itself is pretty corroded but everything else looks okay.

I whipped up a cradle out of scrap wood I had lying around.
IMG_0863.JPG
Here you can see the mechanism that holds the keel to the boat.
IMG_0853.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:49 pm

More photos. I wish I could attach more than three per post.
IMG_0867.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG
These four little 5/16 bolts hold everything in place. Kinda wish they were more robust.
IMG_0874.JPG
Eventually I'm going to have to inspect the lift cable too but I haven't figured out how to do that yet, since there's no way to lower the other end of the keel while it sits on the trailer. Probably I'm going to have to take it to a boatyard and put it on jackstands so that I can remove the keel altogether. Then I'll be able to sand or blast off all the corrosion and then fair and barrier coat the whole keel. That project is going to have to wait until probably next Spring though. For now I just need to make sure the keel doesn't fall off during my upcoming San Juan Islands cruise this August.
Last edited by Locutus on Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:01 pm

Cut your picture size to 5 MP and you can post 6 or 8. They will still fill the screen. You don't need to post 10 to 12 MP pictures.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:31 pm

GALLEY PUMP UPGRADE

I couldn't find a new hand pump that would both fit under the cockpit bench when in the stowed position, that would also fit underneath the countertop (tank is in the way). The old hand pump works but is difficult to pump. So I decided to rig up an electric pump and push the water through the old hand pump. If it ever stops working I have the hand pump as a backup. Since the tank only holds 5 gallons, I selected the lowest flow pump I could find (1.1 gpm) and also ran the circuit through an *on-off-momentary on* switch and dial motor control. I couldn't find a suitable project box so I made one out of scrap wood.

The connector package on the right I cut in the middle and connected one half to the galley and the other to a line leading to the battery. That way I can just plug in when I have the galley in use, and unplug when I want to stow it.
IMG_0876.JPG
The control innards.
IMG_0878.JPG
Height is about the same as the faucet so no problem with stowing the galley.
IMG_0879.JPG

Check out this video link to see it in operation:

https://i.imgur.com/31Qnk7H.mp4

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:57 am

Interesting setup. I too have a 5 gallon tank and electric pump. Didn't think about the flow rate when I purchased the pump. Hope that won't be an issue. I like the resourcefulness you are showing in your restoration.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Sailboats”