Minuet room for porta potty?

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

gpcramins

Minuet room for porta potty?

Post by gpcramins » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:10 pm

I am currently debating the build of either the Minuet or the Glen-L 17. My primary use will be on the local lakes here in New Mexico, primarily Elephant Butte Reservoir. I plan on fishing and exploring the lake, with a desired 2 night/3 day duration typical. The limiting factor for my selection is room to build (my garage) and towing ability (2015 Tacoma 2.7 4 cylinder).

My question is regarding the ability to bring a porta potty. Is there enough room in the Minuet to accommodate this? There are no photos which give me a detailed view of the interior cabin for either boat. Some modification of the cabin is being considered, I was particularly impressed with the build by Roger Hall in Alberta, Canada (photo attached).

I am aware the cabin is by no means spacious, it is just my desire to have a roof over my head when I sleep, tents are not my forte...

I have a few other ideas I plan on implementing in my build to support my intended purpose and given this is my first build, it should be an interesting ride!

At any rate, thanks to all here for any help!

Regards,

Garry

Bill Edmundson

Re: Minuet room for porta potty?

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Garry

Just a thought... On Madi-Gra floats they just use a 5 gal bucket with some cat litter. There is a ring to fit the bucket. You could drape a tarp over the mast and set the bucket outside. You can put a lid on the bucket and have a shaker can of lime to kill the odor.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:13 am

Carl (mrintense) is planning something like what Bill wrote above on his Vera Cruise. Take a look at his build log or contact him to see how much room he is planning for.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 am

JimmY wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:13 am
Carl (mrintense) is planning something like what Bill wrote above on his Vera Cruise. Take a look at his build log or contact him to see how much room he is planning for.
My setup is a composting toilet that I found online made from two plastic buckets. It's not completed yet, but the basic assembly is done. It's going to be stored in a wooden compartment in the cabin with a small computer fan for exhaust (when needed). The important thing about these is having a urine diverter which makes a huge difference in keeping the smell down. That and the use of a plastic bag in the bucket. Also a small supply of peat moss.

The compartment is slightly bigger than the bucket and has an inner lid to access the bucket, and an outer lid to cover everything up. When the outer lid is down, it can double as a seat for the cabin.

I originally was thinking of using a porta potty but they don't have a urine diverter and were too big for my use. The bucket is smaller allowing me to use the same space as the porta potty for containing the bucket and some extra storage space (in addition to the seat mentioned a moment ago). There are a ton of forward cabin photos linked in my build blog (see my signature) where you can see everything I've done so far.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

gpcramins

Post by gpcramins » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions! I have made the leap, ordering and just received the plans for the Minuet! I believe a small porta potty will do the trick. This is my first boat build, and if things go well, I'll be able to explore some of the local lakes. Been watching some videos of the Texas 200 which looks like quite a bit of fun as well....

Return to “Sailboats”