New pictures.....

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

PapaDon

New pictures.....

Post by PapaDon » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:12 am

If God had intended for us to have fibreglass boats, we would have fibreglass trees.

GregH

Post by GregH » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:34 am

Good work and nice lookin' boat you have there! Congrats on getting it launched. How did it sail?

Love the name btw ;)
I can't do everything, but I can do something.

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:43 am

Congrats also PopaDon, Good build of the 12! Thanks for sharing with us. Got'ta love her name. Best sails to ya and keep us posted on your outings.
One day.

PapaDon

Post by PapaDon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:07 am

I thought the pictures would tell the story, but maybe not. In the confusion getting ready to sail away I somehow hit the tiller &
'something' went POP. I thought the rudder had come up a little so wacked it back down. We had a good breeze blowing and alot of traffic right there so I decided to sail away under jib alone to gain some 'sea room'. Well, we went about 30 feet and suddenly I was holding the tiller in my hand and it wasn't attached TO ANYTHING. GAME OVER!. I'm making a new one now out of oak. I think that mahogany just didn't cut it. Thanks for the compliments guys. Many people walked over to tell me how 'pretty' she was....a good feeling, to say the least.
If God had intended for us to have fibreglass boats, we would have fibreglass trees.

Dave Metzker

Beautiful Build

Post by Dave Metzker » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:24 pm

PapaDon, I really have to thank you for your photo gallery of your Glen-L 12 build. I recently acquired a 12 built in 1976 and in need of some repair. I don't know if the plans have changed over the years, or if the builder just got anxious to sail once the hull was glassed and righted. Once I removed the decking, I found very little in the way of supports beneath! Seeing yours, I now know what I need to do!, Thanks again, Dave (Remod)

Steve Miller

Post by Steve Miller » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:28 am

I enjoyed all the photos. The connection between the rudder and tiller can be under tremendous stress. On my 12' sailboat (not a Glen-L) I went to a much heavier tiller with two bolts to the top of the rudder. No real need to pivot the tiller and its stout now!

After seeing the pix of the wet towels for 4 days I bet you will learn to steam wood for the next boat. And there will be a next boat Don.

Post some sailing pix when you get a new tiller. The boat is a beauty.

PapaDon

Post by PapaDon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:36 am

I haven't posted any new pictures, every time I've been out since the tiller episode I've been alone. Also, I suffered an injury to my left ring finger (nothing that 9 stitches couldn't put back together) (and no, it wasn't a power tool) that cost me all of July and into August, FIVE WEEKS of not being able to use it or get it wet. THAT hurt me much more than any pain involved!!!! Steve, when you say "there's no real need to pivot the tiller", you're absolutely correct. However, I really like having the ability to swing the tiller up and outboard, getting it out of the way when not actually sailing. I made my new tiller out of oak and it seems so much stronger now. (I actually made two. One I finished, the other(an unfinished 'blank') now resides under my floorboards. Should it happen again, I'll be able to remedy the problem in a matter of minutes. About steaming......I've known about that all my life, I couldn't help it since I grew up with a boatyard for a backyard. In this case however, I felt I wouldn't have saved any time since the construction of a means of doing so would have cost me the same time(and a couple of $ besides). The towels worked great and only cost me about a 1/2 hour a day. The beauty of that was it allowed me to begin work on all the 'pretty' stuff. (rudder, dagger-board, boom, etc.) THAT I really enjoyed. I did put this boat together, so I'll take some credit for that, but as far as it being "a beauty"....all the credit goes to GLENN-L! It sails absolutely great. It moves through the water like sliding on dog snot! FUN! Despite the name....I had quite a wake at times.....