Glen-L Reliant - Electrical

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Jim Benge

Glen-L Reliant - Electrical

Post by Jim Benge »

Hello again,

I am beginning the electrical stage of the construction of the Glen-L Reliant. I would like to find and hire an experienced marine electrical engineer to design the electrical system for my project. I know I can design and install the system from the knowledge I get from the many good books on the subject, but there is no substitute for experience to get the best finished product the first time. I have no interest in the trial and error approach and I am anxious to get a qualified person working on the design. I will do the work, but would prefer to do as little of it twice as possible.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I can be contacted through my website below, respond here, or call me at 214 796-7803.

Thanks for your help again.

Jim Benge
www.whitmar.org

KnottyBuoyz

Post by KnottyBuoyz »

Hey Jim

You might want to look this guy up. Alden Trull

http://www.midcoast.com/~aft/index2.html

Haven't had him design anything for me but he was open to my many questions.

Rick
Yours Aye!
Rick

Jim Benge

Post by Jim Benge »

Thanks Rick.

I just sent him an email.

Jim

clark

Post by clark »

Jim, your Reliant looks amazing! I love your site. I cant wait for the next group of photos.

KnottyBuoyz

Post by KnottyBuoyz »

Jim Benge wrote:Thanks Rick.

I just sent him an email.

Jim
Let us know how you make out Jim. Looked through your web site. That's quite a project. Amazing work. Really looking forward to seeing it all come together and you getting her wet!

Cheers.
Rick
Yours Aye!
Rick

PapaDon

Post by PapaDon »

If you don't go for the pictures...then go for the music. Good choice!
If God had intended for us to have fibreglass boats, we would have fibreglass trees.

razopp

Post by razopp »

Jim,

Haven't heard from you in a while. Are you still in the Dallas area? I know we have several good sail boat guys in our area. I always had "The Rig Shop" in Rowlett do my work on my sailboats. I cannot remember the name of the guy that owns the place, but he is a pretty good guy. I think his name may be Robert, but it wouldn't hurt to give him a call and see who he recommends. I know "The Rig Shop" has pointed me in the right direction a couple of times.

Robert

P.S. Are you still open to showing off your work sometime? I know we traded an email or two about a year ago, but I never followed up with you.

Jim Benge

Post by Jim Benge »

Hello Robert-

Yes I am still in Dallas....not going anywhere until this thing is done. Come see me at the shop. Call first. 214 796-7803

I think Robert at the Rig Shop has moved or closed. He is not at his old location in Rowlett anymore.

Thanks again.

Jim

razopp

Post by razopp »

Jim,

Thanks for the invite. I am in Atlanta for the next couple of weeks, but will definitely give you call sometime when I get back.

Thanks for the information on the Robert and the Rig Shop. That stinks! He did a lot of work for me and my father in the past. Have you found anyone to do your electrical work.

Thanks again,
Robert

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Awesome web site...great build, looks amazing...and you absolutely did marry UP !

STeve

Jim Benge

Post by Jim Benge »

I have hired Alden Trull to design the electrical system and I have set him up with a challenge. During the years of construction I purchased the Vetus bow thruster, the air horn compressor, and the windlass, all requiring 24VDC while I have bought 12VDC pumps, vacuum generators, etc. AND I have two 115 VAC air conditioners.

So, he is designing my complex system. I'll put it together from his specs.

I STILL need someone that is fluent in LED and has enough knowledge of LED lighting, regarding spacing, lenses, etc to make a boat interior look good with LED lights without it feeling so stark white. It should still have an even flield of light without such "spotting".

Anyway, still looking for a lighting designer interested in taking on this project.

Thanks again.

And Yes I did marry up! But don't tell her. She thinks I can build a boat!

Jim

Return to “Sailboats”