Bull's Eye Sailboat--Transom Reinforcement to Seat Side

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

ferraraj

Bull's Eye Sailboat--Transom Reinforcement to Seat Side

Post by ferraraj »

Ready to install seat sides in place. Is the seat side supposed to be flush with the transom reinforcment? As you can see by these photos, the seat side touches the transom reinforcement at the top, but it drops straight down to the bottom planking. It fits very nicely but I want to make sure it's correct. None of the photos in the pictoral show that view so I can't be sure what I'm doing is correct. I re-measured all parts that impact and they are what they should be.
Another question I have concerns Glen L's Poxy Shield Part A Resin and Part B Slow Hardener. I have over half a can left of each, but I haven't worked on my project in about 3 years because of work issues. I've kept it at room temperature. Do you think it'll still be good to use?

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Much thanks,

Joe Ferrara

Stuart

Re: Bull's Eye Sailboat--Transom Reinforcement to Seat Side

Post by Stuart »

Not an expert on the Bulls Eye but your epoxy should be alright. The only thing is some of the additives might be settling out so give it a stir before you mix it.

Stuart

sunflounder

Post by sunflounder »

ferraraj;

I'm finishing up (ha ha) my 1yr Bull's eye build and have encountered many such gaps, twists and confidence crushing misalignments.
With regard the seat side I found the most important aspect is - will the seat tops be level with each other (the instructions talk of using a stick to set the hull side support strips to square up the tops).
My rueful advice - do this check often with seat tops and the thwart seat, the watch words being dry fit, dry fit, dry fit and finally "shape to fit". The later often involving (in my case) large gobs of epoxy putty and slivers of plywood.
My own build managed to produce a 1/4' wedge shaped space under the thwart seat on port side the solution to which is still the subject of much regretfull contemplation (I fear the dreaded twist in the hull and resultant 'sailing in circles').
As a frameless craft I found the Bull's eye difficult to keep aligned and things left 'unsquare' don't seem to self correct very often :O

Strive on with diligence
DaveA

Mark Chadwick

Post by Mark Chadwick »

Hi

It is nicer to have it fit but......you will put a rather large fillet of putty into that corner along with 2 coats of cloth - wet out with 3 coats of epoxy plus what ever you plan to use for a final finish. This is in addition to the fillets and cloth on the inside of the seat as well. It will not even be close to visible by the time you are done.

It looks like the edge of the transom reinforcement is not lined up with the edge of the bottom batten. You might want to also be concerned the bottom of the seat riser is not flush with the bottom batten on the floor. Again just make sure it is well filled with putty and no internal voids before you start to put the cloth over the fillets.

You can take a look at my pictures in the Customer Photos section and you will see in a couple of pictures these joints will be filled and buried in epoxy. Just make sure the joint is totally filled with putty.

Cheers

Mark

ferraraj

Post by ferraraj »

Thanks, much Mark. It's really good to know these small modifications won't have too much effect on the outcome of the finished product as long as I follow advice like yours.

Appreciate the feedback. I'll take a look at your pix.

Joe

Return to “Sailboats”