Fast-G Glass Tape Finishing

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Mark Chadwick

Fast-G Glass Tape Finishing

Post by Mark Chadwick »

Morning Folks

I'm in the process of getting the interior of my Bull's Eye ready for final paint. Of course this means smoothing out all of my "learning" done previously with epoxy on tape and epoxy putty.

I have many edges of tape to grind down and feather out and I'm wondering how much time to spend on this as it could take a very long time. However I do want a good finish and am prepared to put some effort into this.

Questions to ponder:

- is it considered bad form to leave the outline of the tape visible under your final finish on a stitch & glue boat?
- any magical way to flatten and feather it out?
- in order to make it "disappear" under the final finish it would appear you would need to grind off quite a bit and therefor reduce the strength - does not seam like a good idea
- in order to make it "disappear" under the final finish and not impact joint strength it would appear you need to add epoxy putty as a fairing compound once the cloth is reasonably flat to give you something to feather out?
- any recommendations on a mix to use for this purpose - I would hate for it to chip or peel off in use after this much work! I have been using 1 part cabosil to 2 parts microspheres for my fillets. Should the cabosil be reduced or eliminated for the fairing of the taped edges?

All opinions and information gratefully received!

Cheers

Mark

Stuart

Re: Fast-G Glass Tape Finishing

Post by Stuart »

I've found no magical way to feather epoxy. It's all grunt and grind. I can't be of much help but using a thick paint on the inside of the hull would probably reduce some of the burden.

Stuart

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

sunflounder

Post by sunflounder »

Mark:

Just recovering from the very same process myself. I used various mixes of filler to aid in feathering (bought nearly $100 worth of West Systems fillers) found the Glen-L mix as good as any of them and cheaper.

Bottom line no easy way :( I guess it's part of the infamous 'character building' aspect of boat construction).

It is a nightmare though and I am finally giving up on the endless fill and sand and put the sealer coat on last night, still afraid to go out and look.

My main concern was smoothness (I gave up on beauty a while back) since I figure to come in concusive or abrasive contact with every part of the boat at one time or another (past history being any guide).

Still pondering final finish to disguise the flubyness, non-slip etc. I saw where Allyn the Glen-L in house builder (retired) says he likes to use some rough stuff that needs to be sprayed on, saw a sample boat at Glen-L headquarters and it covered up alot : ).

Strive on with diligence

DaveA

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

The stuff Allyn sprayed on the interior of our test model boats, and various printer stands, etc here in the office is a "protective truck bed coating" called ZOLATONE. It is an automotive product, and must be sprayed. It is really great for hiding flaws, etc.

Mark Chadwick

Post by Mark Chadwick »

Hi

I will make a big attempt at smooth and I will likely end up well short of beauty!

I want to sail this summer and time is slipping very quickly! That being said I still want it to look good.

As to my final finish I will be using the Industrial Formulator's white epoxy coating I used on the outside of the hull. I bought enough to cover both inside and out with the 2 gallons (1 gallon resin + 1 gallon hardner). I have 4 coats on the outside and it looks pretty good. The seams on the outside of the hull were mostly covered by the final layer of cloth so they are not too bad to grind. The transom is another story. I will likely sand, fill, sand and then paint again when I paint the interior. I just don't think I can leave it the way it is.

Right now I"m concentrating on grinding off and smoothing the tape strips on the interior. One edge is always worse than the other where the weave is bound and gives a big ridge. This edge requires quite intensive grinding to level it.

As for the floor, I have the powder to add for non slip. A gentleman at Industrial Formulator suggested he always had better results painting the surface and then sprinkle/shift the granules on to the surface when it is still wet, instead of mixing it into the liquid before application. This is the process I will follow - unless someone has a better idea - anyone?

Cheers

Mark

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Mark,it may or may not work with the granules you have,but when I wanted a non-slip surface on my shed ramp,I rolled the paint on,then used a sand blast gun to "spray" sand into the wet paint.

This way I controlled how much and where it went rather than just sprinkling by hand.

I would also mask off the area that you don't want non-skid.

You may want think of the non-skid area in a contrasting darker color like light grey or beige to cut down on glare also instead of white(use the white for the first coat)

On my last TNT build,I just used adhesive non-skid strips that you can buy at Home Depot on the battens...this worked good too and was a contrast in color to the inside paint.

Mark Chadwick

Post by Mark Chadwick »

Thanks for the idea on the strips. I don't have spray equipment available and I was a little nervous about sprinkling and getting it even. The other option I had thought of was painting the battens first and adding the granules - wait to dry and then vacuum up the extra before coating the rest.

I guess the closer you are to the end of the project the more nerve racking it becomes! You don't want to blow it near the end and introduce more delay to finally using the boat!

Cheers

Mark

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Sifting would probably work well too...you could make a sifter out of screen & some wood framing....or borrow the admiral's sifter!!!

make sure you clean it well,and send her to the mall when you use it!!!LOL :lol: :wink: :roll: :shock:

Mark Chadwick

Post by Mark Chadwick »

Sifting could be dangerous if I don't go and buy my own sifter for the garage/boat shed!

So much to think about and what is starting to feel like so little summer left!

Mark

IslandSpirit

Post by IslandSpirit »

Same here. At the end of the day you are the final judge. I think the final character of the boat might represent the kind of woman you might like :)

Mine has some fine lines, beautiful curves, nice smooth skin but also not the prissy type. She has spirit, a little attitude and was not afraid to introduce me to all facets along the way as I brought her to life. I am sure that if I respect all of that I will be awarded with a fine experience making way. I will show her off, but she will dig in and not be afraid of breaking a nail along the way.

I also found that you can give it your best, take it as far as you want to go, and Pettit Easypoxy works wonders as a flowing paint that fills a lot of tiny niches.

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod »

any recommendations on a mix to use for this purpose -
See Appenfix A, Fairing Fillers (Page 22) for fairing compound recipes :

Final Fairing and Finishing (westsystem.com)

Finishing fiberglass can be very labor intensive if you don't have the right tools. Ridges and lap leading edges can be quickly ground down with a 6" heavy duty orbital sander. Splurge on a commercial-duty unit. Shod with 40 grit paper, it makes short work of feathering. Once the high spots are knocked off, mix and apply fairing compound across the seam area. It's way easier to sand fairing compound than fiberglass ! One (or several) epoxy top coats should be used to seal faired areas. High-build primer surfacer can be applied and block sanded with progressively finer grit sandpaper until you get the desired finish.

Don't forget to post some photos of the finished job !

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

sunflounder

Post by sunflounder »

Mark:

The talk of sifters reminded me of one of my most useful tools ... a sifter. I bought a small one with the squeeze handle in an attempt to get rid of the horrorendous small lumps in the various fillers for making epoxy putty. They end up catching on the putty knife and leaving tracks as one attempts to fair all those !@#$% seams. I run all my fillers through it into an oatmeal box just before mixing (also mixes the fillers together well) and it works! No more lumps, saves lots of grief, although there is plenty left for 'character building' :(0).

Also a pull type scraper works well to take the edge off the glass tape, if it is sharp you can even get in there before you would try sanding (not fully cured, clogs sand paper) and get out most of the ridges in a hurry. Make sure to round off the ends of the blade though to minimize gouges should your hand fall short of steady.

By the way I tried your reversing strips in gluing up my 2nd attempt at a daggerboard as you described and it came out neat with those chevrons. Thanks.

DaveA

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Dave, maybe you can post these tips in the tool section.

It may help others :wink:

IslandSpirit

Post by IslandSpirit »

If you're sifting, don't forget to wear a full face respirator. I had the opportunity of mixing in fillers one night with worklights in the area. I don't sift but it is amazing how much of that filler is in the air. It is insidious to your lungs and will cause permanent damage if breathing too much.

Return to “Sailboats”