finishing a 40 year old project

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

pathfinder

finishing a 40 year old project

Post by pathfinder » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:49 pm

My uncle started buidling a sailboat using a plan from popular science or popular mechanics magaine in the 1970's. He thinks it was called a pumpkin seed sailboat. I'd like to finish it. Any thoughts on where I might find a copy of the building plan?

He fiberglassed the hull but never varnished it. Should I varnish over this as is, or should I sand it down and then varnish?

upspirate

Re: finishing a 40 year old project

Post by upspirate » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:15 am

Try here....didn't see one with that name,but maybe that's just what your uncle called it.

http://www.svensons.com/boat/

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:43 am

About the varnish....epoxy needs to be sanded. I would only lightly fine hand sand it if the epoxy job was done well.

Stuart

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:40 am

I would assume it was done with Polyester resin since he says his uncle began the project 40 years ago :wink:

Welcome to the site :)

dart70ca

Post by dart70ca » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 pm

That was May and June of 1972. There are two articles here; http://books.google.com/books?id=HLQP3v-8vwwC

I've captured them and will pack them up in a pdf for you. PM me with your address and I'll email them to you.
This was not a GlenL boat. Seems to be something cooked up by the guys at Popular Science in an effort to create a new class boat. I googled for 'International Pumpkin Seed' but found nothing in the first 3 pages.

Keith.

primer

Post by primer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:46 pm

If the hull is still in good condition and you just want to have a glossy finish, then you can sand it up lightly and evenly using a fine sand paper and then apply a varnish. But if you are working on repairing cracks, I suggest you remove the fiberglass as most certainly that is polyester resin given that the boat was started 40 years ago and take the hull back to wood as it will be easier then to coat another cloth of fiberglass and apply the varnish.
Last edited by primer on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddleplus43

Post by paddleplus43 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:47 pm

This boat is probably a melonseed as they were once called Pumpkin Seeds. Plans can be obtained for the melonseed from The Wooden Boat store or online. They come in 2 sizes 13 ft. and 16 ft. Good Luck

coachandy

Post by coachandy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:53 am

It is a Popular Science boat plan. You can get the plans from them online. I built this boat as a kid in my parent garage. Great sailer. Easy to handle. Very fast and beautiful. Well worth the effort. Mine didn't survive, but I saved the sails and hardware and will build another someday.

markr

Post by markr » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:00 am

I built a pumpkin seed as well. It also didn't survive because it was stored outside and first the canvas cover, then the boat disintegrated in the Colorado sun. I also still have the sails, mast, and hardware. As I recall it was loads of fun to build and sail.
good luck!
Mark R

Beener

Post by Beener » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:02 pm

I know it has been a while since someone responded to this thread but I have managed to acquire one if these boats to restore and wondered if anyone still had the pdf's. I have a mast and all the rigging, so if you need to swap some photos or info, I am good with that.

Beener

Post by Beener » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:05 am

Please disregard my previous request I've done some research and my boathouses centerboard and not a bilge board it's the Manu from The site listed in a previous post. The plans are accessible online thank you

Beener

Post by Beener » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:26 am

Actually the hull profile is more like the pumpkin seed then the Manu, I would take information on the pumpkinseed if you have it and I can sort out the differences and restore it appropriately.

BCNU

Post by BCNU » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:24 pm

AH PUMPKIN SEED......Built it and sailed it many years....that's many adventures that blew me and my friends away. What a sleek and easy to sail scow..... & fast! like others here still have my mast/boom, boards, rudder/tiller and Murphy Nye sails...and saved in demolition my hull bulkheads for patterns to create a new and better version of her when my projects presently are done.

How'd you make out on your build finish pathfinder?