1000hr. Zip splash

A place to celebrate your first launch with video and/or photos

Moderator: ttownshaw

joshuab

1000hr. Zip splash

Postby joshuab » Mon May 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Well today was the day, hit the lake early before the wind came up, not quite glass but close, i stopped off at a truck scale on the way, the zip and trailer weigh 1050lbs. Plus the 150ish of tongue weight, minus the trailer i'm guessing around 900lbs. For the zip alone. The launch went fine with no surprises, we prepped everything last night and double checked the list this morning before we left. Towed great behind my tacoma pulling around 55-60mph so no issues there. I incorporated a 12v dc auto fuel pump (on a momentary switch) that i have been using to prime instead of a primer bulb (have one for back up) that worked without issue, fired right up, let it warm up and shoved off... note: remember once you have left the dock to pull your bumpers in, i didn't and when i applied power and started to plane i heard squeals coming from my boys in the back seat, when i spun around to see what was going on the most epic and beautiful funnel of water was being diverted from my hanging fenders cascading directly into thier faces :lol: :lol: stopped, pulled the bumpers in and tried it again this time without the self induced shower. Ran great, the outboard is a 1997 merc 25E, (25hp electric start) max recommend rpm is 6000. Below are my results.....
WOT 5400rpm
Top speed with 4 aboard 24-26mph
Our combined passenger weight 540.4lbs. (we all took turns standing on the scale when we got home)
No porpoising at all, dead flat at speed, got on plane quickly without any weight distribution or CG changes, i had about 1/4 tank of fuel (roughly 3 gallons)on board, handled excellent. I could not be more pleased with the 25hp merc, i was hopeful but not convinced it could do the job but it DID! It is a keeper. Still need to buy /install bilge pumps and final polish the windshield brackets but pretty much done.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180528-104703.png
20180528_090841.jpg
Screenshot_20180528-123332.png
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Rich Coey

Re: 1000hr. Zip splash

Postby Rich Coey » Mon May 28, 2018 6:28 pm

Congratulations,
Fun!
This is what its all about.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue May 29, 2018 5:02 am

AWESOME!! Enjoy!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 am

Congratulations on your launch. Good to hear your experience with a 25 as that's what I'm intending for my Zip - I had a lingering doubt that it wouldn't be enough but the performance you report will be plenty.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue May 29, 2018 9:15 am

Lots of happy faces, looks like a great time on the water. Congrats!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Loved seeing it look and perform beautifully on the video. Great job Capt!
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

jaguarrh

Postby jaguarrh » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:37 am

Hey Josh,

My name is Rob and I'm from Australia.

Can I just say I have been following your build on YouTube and I am so happy for you getting to launch day.

In fact, watching your build has been the main inspiration for me to start my Key Largo which I started at the end of March just gone.

http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33131&p=198668#p198668

Like you I intend to document the build on YouTube and am in the process of getting a few videos edited under my belt so I can post regularly. I hope you don't think I'm ripping off your ideas but your running commentary on the cost and time is a device I will be using during my build. Also, if you don't mind I would like to reference your channel as one to watch at the end of my vids.

Once again, congratulations on a stunning build and I hope your Zip brings you and the kids much joy on the water. I only hope I can produce half of the quality you have managed.

Rob :mrgreen:
Rob

Building a Key Largo

:mrgreen:

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:11 am

Great job Josh. She look's wonderful on the lake. Nice and smooth running. Level. You did a nice piece of work there and an excellent addition to the school of boats finished here. Congratulations.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:05 pm

jaguarrh wrote:Hey Josh,

My name is Rob and I'm from Australia.

Can I just say I have been following your build on YouTube and I am so happy for you getting to launch day.

In fact, watching your build has been the main inspiration for me to start my Key Largo which I started at the end of March just gone.

http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33131&p=198668#p198668

Like you I intend to document the build on YouTube and am in the process of getting a few videos edited under my belt so I can post regularly. I hope you don't think I'm ripping off your ideas but your running commentary on the cost and time is a device I will be using during my build. Also, if you don't mind I would like to reference your channel as one to watch at the end of my vids.

Once again, congratulations on a stunning build and I hope your Zip brings you and the kids much joy on the water. I only hope I can produce half of the quality you have managed.

Rob :mrgreen:

What ever you would like to do / use is absolutely fine by me! Have fun and let me know when vids are posted, I'll follow you!
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

bjfrater

Postby bjfrater » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:03 am

Congratulations Josh,
Great job on your build. Its been fun watching it come together.
Enjoy the fun times taking it out.
Brendon

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 am

Congrats! Great job. Love your you tube channel as well. I can barely do my time card at work so you must have some super power to be able to track your schedule and budget on a hobby build :D
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Launching Ramp”