Malahini Launch Update Sept 27

A place to celebrate your first launch with video and/or photos

Moderator: ttownshaw

vupilot

Re: Malahini Launch Update Sept 27

Post by vupilot » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:53 pm

Rough water or not you have gotta be feeling great tonight 8) Kudos to your helper for the day also, Kevin is a great guy.

That motor looks great on that boat. Looks like it was a good choice, glad everything worked out in the end for you.

Now take the wife and go do it again on some calmer water, you both deserve a nice boat ride.

-CA

chuck1

Post by chuck1 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Cool. Now bring it home to Chatuge and you won't have to worry about the rough water on Lanier (Grin)

red

Post by red » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:42 pm

congrats glad everything went well considering the wind you have one nice boat enjoy it while you can the temp will be falling soon especially in the mountains

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:14 pm

Freakin' Awesome Jeff! Hot Digity Dog!!!!!!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:34 am

Great news!!!! Congratulations!!!!! Now the fun begins!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:43 am

Congratulations on a great build and launch!
thanx for sharing :D it handles the rough stuff too from looks of the video :shock:
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Lewis Barrett

Post by Lewis Barrett » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:24 am

Great job :!: Good job on your seats too. Did you do them?

Between you, me, Bill E, Kevin and Jprice we could have a small Gathering in the Atlanta area.

David

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments. I had planned to have a lot more video and photos, but we were getting splashed pretty good and finally placed the cameras up under the front deck. One thing I was glad to see was Kevin's 6' 2" frame fit in the boat with no problems. I'm 5' 10" and am comfy in the driver's seat.

We will be up in the mountains at our place on Lake Chatuge this weekend (23rd anniversary). I've decided to just leave the boat in the garage until spring. I'll take her up in April or May when TVA starts bringing the water back up to full. The temps are supposed to be in the upper 30s at night up there this weekend. I had hoped to have some photos of the boat on our lift this year, but I'll have to wait now. It sure looks funny with a 16.5ft kayak on that lift...at least it's a wooden kayak :wink:

David, we could have our own ATL gathering sometime. Darthplywood and his Sea Knight also live around here. I believe he is in Newnan and Sam W and his Malahini are in Jonesboro. So that makes seven of us.

The seats were done by a professional upholsterer. They turned out really well and handled the water. He even stitched the pleats. I was just going to have him order the stuff that comes with the pleats already done.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:28 am

Congratulations, Jeff! It looks good in the water. You've had a long row to hoe, but the results are fantastic.

darthplywood

Post by darthplywood » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Jeff! Really NICE!
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Z_Wood

Post by Z_Wood » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Congratulations.... Enjoy every minute!!!

Zane...

Retroman
Location: Great South Bay, Long Island, NY. Building a Zip/Flying Saucer

Post by Retroman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:59 am

beautiful boat, congrats!
RetroMan
Built A Zip/Flying Saucer. I do my boating on South Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY
Documenting my build on YouTube @ http://www.youtube.com/SuperUnknownMC

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Well folks, tomorrow is the official christening day for Kicked In The Head. It will be my wife and two close friends along for the dedication at Lake Burton, GA. I've been planning all along to use SweetWater 420 which is a GA beer and it even has a little wooden boat on the label. That has to be good luck.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:19 am

Best of Boating and Congrats on the launch. Beautiful boat!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:09 pm

I chose today for the second and final outing of 2011 because it just worked out for our schedules and it was spectacular! This morning, the weather man actually said "unseasonably warm" for the Atlanta area. Up at Lake Burton where we dedicated our boat, it probably hit 80 or was very close to it. We had two of our dearest friends, a bottle of SweetWater 420 for the boat and two bottles of Champagne. There was a steady breeze and out on the open water, it whipped up the surface a little, but no comparison to what Kevin and I experienced out on Lake Lanier a few weeks ago.

The E-TEC starts so effortlessly and I'm not kidding. It starts just like a 4-stroke and it accelerates better than I had hoped. It jumps on plane (no exaggeration) and there is absolutely zero porpoising. I almost had her wide open but had to keep pulling back due to wakes and rough areas due to wind. There were 4 adults in the boat today and we weighed about 650lbs between us. I was using a TomTom GPS and we hit 40MPH at one point, but as soon as we got there, I had to pull the throttle back because of wakes. One thing is certain: 37 MPH was fast enough to whip my Malahini burgee flag out of it's socket in the bow light. I had duct tape wrapped around it's base too so it was a very, very snug fit. It flew right over the windshield and whizzed by the right side of my wife's head (she was sitting in the back seat). It happened so quickly that she didn't even know what it was. I'll never ride that fast with the burgee on the bow again. It could have been a bad outcome :oops:

I forgot to check the tach to see what our RPMs were, but I know a higher pitched prop could be used. The one I have is a 13.5x15. I need to check my tach next time, which will be spring to see just how many revs I'm getting. I'm not so hung up on max top end and want a good combo prop that gets us on plane and can tow skis or tubes. This prop could be just fine. It got us up to 40MPH with four adults and it was not done. Good smooth water and just me on board could come close to 50. Lake Burton is definitely not a lake to test your boat's speed. I'll save that for our home lake.

Our lake is a lot larger than this lake and on calm mornings and evenings, I'm envisioning some speed trials. One thing about Lake Burton that was a little sad was the amount of Tornado damage still quite evident from the April storms. The tornado actually followed a road that runs along the edge of the lake for several miles and left a pretty bad path of destruction. I looked up the National Weather Service data which said it was an EF3 with winds up to 165 MPH.

One thing is for sure, you attract a LOT of attention in a wooden boat. Three different times, were engaged by folks asking questions. I even had a group of 5 people photographing the boat as I floated off the trailer. I met another fellow at the end of the day who I referred to the GL site. He is interested in building a skiff. I know he could do it too because he had refurbed a Boston Whaler center console boat and did the interior in ribbon mahogany.

I have attached some photos. I also have quite a bit of video, but that needs to be viewed before I post it.

I had read lots of things about launching and christening boats. One recommended placing a leafy branch across the bow for safe returns.

Return to “Launching Ramp”