Ultra Pierre - BooBooToo - Launched

A place to celebrate your first launch with video and/or photos

Moderator: ttownshaw

mmorasci

Ultra Pierre - BooBooToo - Launched

Post by mmorasci » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Overcast skies and a little drizzle didn't stop me from Launching the BooBooToo (aka The Clownship). After 3 1/2 years of construction We finally got wet today! Yeah!! :D A few friends stopped by to take a look, and after some friendly ribbing, and the champagne was poured (a proper christening, after-all, requires some bubbly), we went out to adjust the carburetor jets and test the engine. Didn't spend a lot of time on the water (only a couple of hours), just long enough to find everything went well. A little trim needed to get the stern down a bit, but overall a great day. Later this summer I hope to post some pic's of the Sail Rig (first have to finish the mast and some hardware).
Attachments
P1060289.JPG
P1060283.JPG
P1060275.JPG

slug

Re: Ultra Pierre - BooBooToo - Launched

Post by slug » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:39 pm

Congrats on the launching! Looks like you'll have some fun with this one.

Doug

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Just doesn't get a lot better! Does IT?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:13 am

love it!!!! Bring it to the G7 in Tennessee or are you going to the ACBS International in Coeur d Alene?

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:06 pm

This was a fun build and I expect to continue to have a great time with the boat. This was only a start though. A milestone for completing the hull, trailer, and propulsion system. Next come the mast, boom, rigging, and sail. The immediate goal is to be ready to watch the 4th of July fireworks from the lake with the admiral which I think we're ready for. Until I complete the Sail rig, I'll be concentrating on "finishing" the build and not attending any shows (maybe next year :wink: ).
Attachments
P1060304.JPG
Rope Stropped block (and lot's of them) need to be completed for the rigging.
P1060302.JPG
A good start on the "Dead Eyes", still working out the "Strap" details
P1060301.JPG
The Doug Fir Mast "Hollow Core" is glued up and ready for sizing. Next I'll laminate the spruce and make it round.

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:35 pm

A week later... the Mast has been completed (except for a little varnish of course :wink: ) and I spent the afternoon raising it and working through some of the rigging.
P1060335.JPG
While raising, the VHF coax pulled back out a few feet, so I'll have to take off the mast head and re-wire (that'll teach me for not attaching the connector so it couldn't pull out :( ). With the exception of the forestay, all the standing rigging is temporary just until I can sort out lengths and connection methods, then I'll rig for real. The umbrella is on a temporary mount and will be used to provide some shade on the 4th until I can finish the sails.

Mike

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:57 am

We made it for the overnight on the 4th.
P1060354.JPG
All dressed and ready for the lake.
Here's home for the night
P1060362.JPG
and the spot to watch the fireworks. The admiralty was in agreement that the boat handled just beautifully and we had a great time. She was even in agreement that a list should be begun to capture those little nagging items to fix/include for next time. I didn't get a dinghy so no pic's of the boat from a distance yet. Hope you all had a happy Independence Day.

Mike

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:33 am

That had to be a cool way to celebrate!

A good way to enjoy the boat before it's actually ready to use. One of the biggest challenges I have is waiting to use my boat as I build her. I'm at least a year away before I'll even have a floatable hull, but I daydream constantly about being on the lake. I can't tell you the number of times I have considered and rejected the idea of buying a used boat to get me through this waiting.

Your boat is looking cool and quite festive. Good job!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:40 am

Congratulations Mike! Sounds like a wonderful way to enjoy your new boat...

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:13 pm

It was a great way to celebrate the build and launch. All I can offer mrintense, is to keep plugging away, there were times when I wasn't sure I'd ever get the BooBooToo launched, but a little progress every day and you'll get there too :D

A friend was on the water and took this pic. (he just sent it to me). It's one of the few I have of the boat showing it from a distance.
P1020801.JPG
I am currently looking at dinghy designs to go with (and I'm not even finished with this build yet :? ) so I can get to shore without swimming. I guess I've got the building bug pretty bad.

Mike

Return to “Launching Ramp”