Michigan Squirt Launch

A place to celebrate your first launch with video and/or photos

Moderator: ttownshaw

JimmY

Michigan Squirt Launch

Postby JimmY » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:42 pm

After double checking everything and loading up tools and supplies, my son and I heard over to Ore Lake in Hamburg Township, MI. I had picked up gas last night, and my friend Dave had oil to mix in it. While the neighbors started to gather, I noticed a wet spot around the gas tank, and one of the lines had a split in it. This was a quick fix, and we loaded the tank in the rear compartment. The starting battery had a fresh charge, and we tried cranking the motor. It cranked fine, but it wouldn't fire. We removed the cover, and discovered that the fuel and air lines had been swapped when my son had replaced the lines. Another quick fix, but the motor still would not fire. Break out the ether, and we definitely have spark. A little head scratching, and my friend's dad double checked the high and low needle settings. He backed them out a bit, and the motor fired right up! :D

Off to the launching ramp! I backed it up to the edge, and Dave took over with me in the boat. Once the motor was in the water, I started it up and made sure we were getting good water circulation. With everything looking good, a few more feet in and the Squirt floated for the first time. I idled around Little Ore to let the motor warm up, and then headed over to Dave's dock on Big Ore.

20170902_124045.jpg

With everything looking and sounding fine, I throttled up for a lap of the lake. I need to lean forward to get up on plane, and the motor didn't sound like it was make max power. The boat handles great and the steering is nice. It is definitely a smooth lake kind of boat and you can hear and feel the waves slapping the bottom.

20170902_124635.jpg

I picked up my son and we headed out again, but had trouble getting on plane. My son grabbed the wheel while I reached around to adjust the high throttle needle. It took about an 1/8 turn and the motor sprung to life, and we were off. We did a few laps of the lake and brought it in for Dave to give it a try. He remarked at how well it handled and moved out.

Next, my son took the wheel while I snapped more photos and took some video. I was expecting a wetter ride, but it was surprisingly dry and comfortable.

20170902_134331.jpg

One of Dave's jet skis is out for repairs, so he's letting me keep it at the lake for the weekend on a lift. It will be all ready for some joy rides at the end of summer party tomorrow.

Good day!
Last edited by JimmY on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

JimmY

Re: Michigan Squirt Launch

Postby JimmY » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:44 pm

A few more photos...

20170902_125347.jpg

20170902_133748.jpg

20170902_134341.jpg
-Jim

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:47 pm

and some more...

20170902_135016.jpg

20170902_132542.jpg

20170902_140357.jpg
-Jim

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Congratulations, Jim. I'm glad everything worked out well, and that you were able to sort your way through the "bugs" with the engine.

I love the look of your boat with that '57 Johnson mounted on the transom! It sure reminds me of "back in the day".

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Congratulations! Looks like fun! Makes all that sanding worth it!

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:01 pm

Congratulations! Great accomplishment, you should be very proud! Enjoy!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Beautiful boat, beautiful weather, successful launch, and Michigan won! What a Great Day!!!

Congratulations :D :D :D

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Jim:

Congratulations. She sure looks sweet in the water. Glad she's running great. Have fun this weekend.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

JimmY

Re: Videos

Postby JimmY » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:55 am

Hi All,

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement.

Here are a few videos from the first day on the lake...

Launch: https://youtu.be/YZJXy7m42FY

Sea Trials: https://youtu.be/bXkXZJ_3nng

Time Lapse of Construction: https://youtu.be/xo4eKlinYCA

Enjoy!
-Jim

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:55 am

Damn silly grin!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:56 am

Looking great! Congratulations on your launch!

BillW

Postby BillW » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:02 am

Just beautiful.

And vintage boats look so good without registration numbers !
We ran our Squirt like that a few times....

Bill

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Nice weekend at the lake. I got three "What year is that's?", one photo request, many "beautifuls", and a lot of double takes.

My son had to work yesterday, so my daughter got a lot of time behind the wheel and we ran through 2 tanks of gas. My folks came out for a quick lap as well.

20170902_195317.jpg
Sorry, more silly grins!

20170902_195324.jpg

I painted the red water line about 2" up at the transom, and parallel to the floor (building jig). With a full tank of gas, the boat floats about 2" above the red. I had always planned on adding a white boot stripe, and now I know to just add it to the top of the red.

The 18hp Johnson is perfect with one person, and jumps up on plane nicely. It tops out at 22mph and cruises nicely at 18mph according to the GPS app. With me and one of the kids, we have to lean forward a bit to get on plane and it tops out at 20mph. With two adults, I could not get it on plane. I think the 20mph range is fine, I'm not sure how the "Jet Squirt" guys handle anything faster with this size boat. The cavitation plate is still an inch or so below the bottom of the boat. I'm not sure if raising it would help any.

With one in the boat, it can be a bit rough if there is any chop or wakes. With two, the ride is much smoother. Overall the ride is pretty dry, unless you are pounding through the waves or heading into a stiff breeze. When you're on plane and cruising, the water spray is right under the seat and breaking 90 degrees to the hull. The handling and turning is great. The keel must be doing something since I don't feel any real sideways slide in sharp turns. When making sharp turns, you have to stay on the power to keep on plane. In the no wake zone just above idle, the GPS read 13mph but I don't believe it. The turning was very responsive for maneuvering, and I rarely hit either of the steering stops. When I covered it up for the day, there was very little water in the rear compartment and it was easily sponged up.

All it all, I'm very happy with the Squirt.

20170903_193125.jpg
Cruising at dusk
-Jim

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:46 pm

I was thinking and hoping your bottom end would have been better. With my 15hp, once I moved the fuel tank forward, I planed with as much as 400 pounds though we had to lean forward. You are better on the top-end though. I could never get up to 20 mph.

I don't know if changing the cavitation plate will get it done. I think I'd try to add some weight in the bow (water ballast bag or sand bag)

Return to “Launching Ramp”