Inboard Wiring

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

ttownshaw

Re: Inboard Wiring

Post by ttownshaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks Bill! I also found these blade style fuses that glow when they blow.

http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-Smart- ... 698&sr=8-6
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:38 pm

Does everyone put a 20A fuse in the starter solenoid circuit path? Its not shown in the USCG Boatbuilders handbook page 82.

I don't get how in the previous schematic the neutral safety switch is wired in. I would think it should be in series with the starter solenoid circuit unless it cant handle the current and a relay is used which is not shown. Perhaps the schematic is just showing it notionally?

The cranking circuit is also missing; assume that it goes from the battery on the other side of the cutoff switch directly to the starter.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:15 am

Hi all need help,

Wiring is not my strong point so have some questions.

For the power to my ignition should I run the power from my battery to my fuse box and run the ignition switch from one of the terminals off the fuse box, if so what size fuse would be best 20amp?

Also not quite sure the best way to wire in the volt meter, not a lot of instruction came with the gauges.

Need to get this wiring done and fire up this beast!

Thanks

Jamie

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:29 am

G'day Jamie
The engine manufacturer would have supplied a wiring diagram for your engine, maybe fuses and their recommended rating is shown in those diagrams or in the "installation" plurb. My Lexus engine has fuses for fuel control and for ignition and EFI sensors plus three for alternator control, one for alternator output and more, so there is probably more than just one fuse required for your engine.
Make sure you have a battery isolator close as possible to the battery and at a readily accessible location and it must cut off "ALL" power. So no power tap offs between battery and isolator.
The voltmeter is only sensing buss voltage, so only requires an earth and a connection to a circuit that become hot with the ignition switched on.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:59 am

Thanks Alan,

My engine is a 1970 Mercruiser carby fed, the most modern thing I hit is the electronic ignition which is an MSD unit running through a ballast resister.

I will have a feed for the electric choke, the alternator is a single wire hook up.

I will use a couple of the fuses but won’t be too many.

My fuse box has a positive and a negative post, so if I run the ignition through one of the terminals with a say 20 amp fuse would that be ok?

My switch panel is pre wired with. Sing feed wire for the positive, would I be better off running the owner to each button switch so that the item (say bilge pump) would have its own fuse rather than 6 items running though one fuse?

Thanks

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:32 am

Jamie
Sorry I forgot you had a nice simple engine. The MSD unit would draw about 6 amps and the choke 3-4, so 10 amps total. Try a 15 amp fuse and carry a 20. Use a fuse for each electrical component, for example bilge pump, vent blower, anchor light, navigation lights etc. Watch those prewired switches as some use the same wire gauge in series to each switch. The single wire that feeds the switches should be big enough to take the total load of all switches when on. As previously mentioned in this thread LED blade fuses are a good idea. Jaycar has them. On the bigger subject, your boat looks great. It would be nice one day to have all the OZ GL woodies lined up together.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:58 am

Thanks Alan,

I have re run individual power feed wires to the switches on the panel and run them through the fuse box.

The electric choke I am going to run off the ignition switch so that it is only being fed power while the key is on.

Thanks, happy in general with how it is looking.

Jamie

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”