books on wiring

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

kens

Re: books on wiring

Post by kens »

Roberta wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:11 pm
I have to say most aircraft grade wire is not color coded. When I built my airplanes, all you could get was white with some tiny stripes. You had to label it or God help you. Pre-made harnesses were all white with labels. Avionics shops all used white with labels.

Roberta :lol:
any good avionics shop had a wire printer, and printed their own wires. I was in flight test and backshop had a printer, we seldom used it, easier to label ourselves. besides, if the guy running the printer entered in a typo, or too short a run, you were screwed.
I have had many modifications where the print was non-existant, blurred, or too weak to read, you just had to ring it all out to install it.
Ring out all the CMWS harness' on a blackhawk, that'll make your day !!! and you ring it again after you install it

here is couple links may help the boat wires:

https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/Spira ... uct_id=161
https://4rcustomswire.com/p/current-wire-stock
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The thing to think about is if you are running AC in your boat the DC grounds might want to be yellow to not get them mixed up with the AC black which is the hot wire.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

AW Jeez, now he did it ,,,
opened Pandora's Box
opened can o' worms,
looking into rabbit hole,,,,,,
Color codes on AC versus DC,,,,,,,,and AC grounds vs DC grounds within the same vehicle.
If the discussion was taking place in a pub, they would run out of suds before anybody ever got to the end of the talking.

Since it has already been mentioned, I'll take the next one,
Leave DC alone at Red&Black, plus all the striped/tracer colors.
Take your AC and run it as its own harness in BLK/WHT/GRN.

The AC & DC harness' are never intermingled in the same bundle. They are separated as their own wire harness respectively.

I like Black & Tan,,, Guinness over Bass
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”