Gauge lights

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

csaggio

Gauge lights

Postby csaggio » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:14 am

I have purchased a 3 position (Off, On, On) switch for my anchor light and bow light. Is it common practice to wire the gauge lights with the anchor light pole on the switch, or is a seperate switch for the gauge lights a better option?

Thanks, Chris
Barrelback19

Bill Edmundson

Re: Gauge lights

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:27 am

Chris

I'd wire with the running lights. If you're under an anchor light you normally don't need to see the guages.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Soloboat

Postby Soloboat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:30 am

That is exactly what I did I figured that I would need navigation lights at night so gauge /panel lights would be on at the same time. At anchor I could the switch off panel lights and port & starboard lights and leave anchor light on. I don't know if there is any specific rule regarding this setup, I think it is fine if you stick to good wiring practice.
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:46 pm

I'm an oddball. I have my gauge lights on a separate switch. It is not uncommon for me to make night trips and on those trips I navigate primarily by viewing the outline of the surrounding hills to determine where the shoreline is. I find having the gauge lights on diminishes my 'night vision' and makes it harder to navigate so I have my gauge lights on there own dedicated switch. Otherwise I wouild run the gauge lights with the bow or NAV light.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Good point GD,Even red gauge light can mess up night vision in really dark areas

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:08 pm

I think the ultimate would be gauge lights on the running lights but with a dimmer in the circuit. Wonder if they are available?
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Your gauge lights are on one circuit. It should be simple enough to put a reostat between the switch and the first gauge.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Dimmer - Somewhat expensive....

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50557

Great price but you would have to find a nice way to mount it or separate the pot from the board.
http://ledshopper.com.au/8a-12v-dc-dimmer.html

I should perhaps mention that there are different dimmers for normal (incandescent) bulbs as opposed to LED ones. Modern gauges may use LED so check first.

LED one cheap...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Dimmer-1 ... 5ae52bcfed
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

LuisSim

Postby LuisSim » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:28 am

csaggio wrote:I have purchased a 3 position (Off, On, On) switch for my anchor light and bow led lights. Is it common practice to wire the gauge lights with the anchor light pole on the switch, or is a seperate switch for the gauge lights a better option?

Thanks, Chris
Barrelback19

i dont think it is a common practice as I never did that..There is some other way to adjust gauge lights..

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”