Transom Light Help Needed

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mmorasci

Transom Light Help Needed

Postby mmorasci » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:40 am

This is a pretty silly question perhaps, but I am looking for a solution that is escaping me at the moment. What type of fixture is sutable and where should it be mounted for a "proper'Transom Light on a dory?

The BooBooToo (a Ken Hakinson Ultra Perre) is being wired and readied for launch and I'm looking for suggestions on a white light for the transom. I do not wish to perferate the top deck so a socket for and/or an "all around" pole light type arrangement is out. With the rudder hanging off the transom, any flush type light I mount would be blocked by the rudder and would not meet the 135 degree requirement for such a light.

As you can see from the attached picture, I have not yet constructed the Trim Board (sorry I don't know the proper name for it), at the top of the transom, but was thinking I would carve the name into something here and maybe could incorporate two lights (one on either side of the rudder). Is there something I am missing? Other ideas i have not explored pehaps?

Any and all suggestions would be most welcomed and appreciated (as would pictures).
Attachments
Stern_Rudder.JPG

ttownshaw

Re: Transom Light Help Needed

Postby ttownshaw » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:50 am

What about using a clamp mount all-around pole light? Wouldn't even need to run wires as it is battery operated.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:53 am

Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:31 am

:lol: we used one similar for years on our old breach craft the nice thing is if you are only out in the day they can be stored until needed 8)
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

mmorasci

Postby mmorasci » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:03 am

Thanks for the input. It never occurred to me to use a battery operated light. The one I tried years ago on my duck boat was of such poor quality I never really looked at them again. Any reccommendations on a "good one" for purchase?

I have a Davis work light and thought how I might use it (15' cord and a lighter plug at the end) as I will likely have it for use as an anchor light.

The reason I went to the transom light is to try and satisfy the Coast Guard Regs. My understanding (may be interpriting the regs poorly) is that a powerboat can use a stern mounted all around white light but things are a little different for a sailboat. Sailing vessals under 65.5 feet are to show a 135 degree light off the stern or incorporate the 135 degreee view as part of a mast head light but there isn't (my understanding) a provision for an all around stern light when sailing at night.

Maybe fashon a "guard" on the light that blocks some of the light?

X23

Postby X23 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:46 pm

If you do not plan to motor at night, you could use a tri-color nav light at the top of your mast. When under power, even combined with sails, you need that stern light with side lights.

You do have the freedom to put the all around white light forward of the stern. Check this out from the Nav Rules Handbook, http://navruleshandbook.com/Rule23.html:

"Vessels less than twelve meters long may display an all-round white light and sidelights. The all-round white light is commonly mounted at the stern on the starboard side, but that location is a carry-over from superseded navigation rules. Under the current Rules, the all-round white light can be placed anywhere, so long as it is on a level at least one meter higher than the sidelights."

This would permit you to put your all around white light on top of your mast. Using this with a combined side light unit on your bow would work. That all around light would also serve as an anchor light with appropriate switch to cut out your side lights (common OFF-ANCHOR-NAV switch).

The USCG Response Boat Medium has a "stern" light mounted at the base of the mast, with towing light a meter above it on the mast. Since the RB-M is 45 feet long (over 12 meters), they cannot use the all around white light underway. Their stern has towing gear, so the mast is a good location for that needed nav light.

However you do it, go with LED lights.

Jack

mmorasci

Postby mmorasci » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:13 pm

I wanted to follow up and say thanks Jack/and all for the input, and to show the end result of your comments and my thought process.

P1060322.JPG
I made a plastic ring and a bail for my mega light.

P1060328.JPG
Then I cut two pieces of plastic tubing that fit snugly over the ring.

Now I have a truly universal light I plan Hanging it in the fore triangle at anchor, without either tube,
and in combination with a mast top mounted LED "all Around" light should have my anchoring needs met (mast top and also lighting up the fore deck and cabin). I plan on adding the tube that has been "cut away" and hanging it from the rudder when I travel at night (I cut it away to meet the 135 degree requirement, while not "technically correct" it should work well enough on those few occasions), and when I want just some general ambient lighting, I can replace the "cut away tube with the short "straight" tube and I'll have a nice "lamp" I can use in the cockpit or to supplement the cabin lighting.

The mast is being painted, wired, and varnished now (24 foot, 4 3/8 diameter stepped and tapered at the top to 2 1/2") and with luck, I'll be raising it this weekend. :D

Mike
Attachments
P1060319.JPG

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”