Back up Battery

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

rventure

Back up Battery

Postby rventure » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:11 am

Is there any issues with using a small 12 volt lawn tractor battery as a back up battery. I would plan to have it connected to the system using a switch (I.E. - off, Battery 1, Battery 2, both batteries). I am concerned that maybe over charging would be a problem. I am considering the small battery because I have a GlenL Cabin Skiff which has limited storage. I plan to use the back up battery mainly for running accessories when the engine is not running.

Thanks

Ed

Bill Edmundson

Re: Back up Battery

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:29 am

Ed

It is a common practice to have 2 batteries, starter and house. I don't know about the compatibility of the charging system and the tractor battery you mention.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jcallends

Postby jcallends » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:57 am

If practical install a voltmeter between the motor lead and ground. It will then indicate the voltage of the selected battery. A well charged 12 volt battery will indicate at least 13 volts.

billy c

Postby billy c » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:57 am

how about a battery jump starter. many have a 12v plug in for accessories
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

rventure

Postby rventure » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:45 am

Thanks for your comments. I think I will continue to use a starter battery as the backup. Sounds like I will avoid any compatibility problems with that system. Only issue I have is I need to bring it home every once in a while to charge it up because I don't have access to power at the slip.

Thanks for your help,

Ed

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:39 am

I would definitely get a jumper pack. Nothing is more disappointing going for a day on the boat, turn the key and nothing happens.

The packs don't cost much and are great to just have in the car.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:32 pm

I would suggest a small deep cycle battery for running accessories while the engine is not running. Starter batteries are not designed to be deeply discharged. You can use a deep cycle to start your engine in a pinch too. Maybe you could use a solar panel to keep your batteries topped off at the dock?

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”