Advice on Gauges and Accesories

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

harveyb

Advice on Gauges and Accesories

Postby harveyb » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:13 pm

Thinking ahead on my Ski Tow boat build, can anyone recommend what gauges, accessories, and lights I should plan for? So far I'm planning for a speedometer, volt meter, fuel gauge, and AM/FM/CD radio. I am also planning a bow light, rear light, horn, and a bilge pump. Am I missing anything? I'm considering a 40-60 HP Mercury outboard. Can a 40-60 HP Mercury outboard run all these accessories? Look forward to hearing some recommendations.
Thanks, Harvey

neel thompson

Re: Advice on Gauges and Accesories

Postby neel thompson » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:21 pm

Maybe a tach

Roberta

Re: Advice on Gauges and Accesories

Postby Roberta » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:52 pm

I have a tach, GPS speedo, fuel gauge, voltmeter, and water pressure gauge on my Zip. Most gauges like Faria, Teleflex, and Livorsi work well. Most of the accessories don't use that much power, but a larger marine battery withan occassional trickle charge will keep you going, if you have a big sound system or other current drawing stuff. A green and red bow light with a white rear post light will be fine for nav lights. Glen L sells some very nice bilge pumps. There are some nice trumpet style electric horns out there.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”