Fuel monitoring systems

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Soloboat

Fuel monitoring systems

Postby Soloboat » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:56 pm

I have 165 gals gas tank but I am always concerned about fuel consumption, trying to figure how much time I have left on the water etc, so I am thinking of adding a system that will give an accurate account of fuel burn etc. What are you recommendations.
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Fuel monitoring systems

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:45 pm

Denzil

I can't remember. What engine are you running?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:34 pm

I have a Northstar F210. it is a stand alone fuel flow meter. It has done well for me.

I have Northstar chartplotter, and I have the option to purchase a flow meter sender unit that computes with the chartplotter. I have not bought this item because the little F210 is OK for me.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Soloboat

Postby Soloboat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Hey thanks, Bill I am running a 5.7 Mercruiser. Kens I opted for a Floscan since my engine in not an ecm model and my electronics is compatible with NEMA0183 and not 2000 so the floscan stands alone and has a couple other useful functions that I like and I dont have to worry about hooking up stuff to my fishfinder /chartplotter that may not work properly, still mostly challenged in that area so I am doing the KISS method
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

kens

Postby kens » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:20 pm

have you re-filled your tank and check the gallons burned compared to the Floscan?
how accurate is it?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Denzil

I'm going with a Yamaha 115 outboard. Plan to use their system that monitors tanks, fuel flow...

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:25 pm

I have a Floscan on both the Cabin Skiff and the True Grit and have been pleased. It does have the capability to be calibrated it to adjust for the correct reading. On the Cabin Skiff it usually reads with less than a 1% error which I feel is very good. On the True Grit it is closer to 5% error but there is a workaround. Actually on the TG it reads very consistently but there is just not enough calibration range to set it to read the right number on the display. The fact that I am burning 1.0 or less GPH may have something to do with it. My fix is simple. If the tank is empty and I add 20 gallon I adjust the figure by 5% so it now becomes 19 gallons. Then when the Floscan hits 19 the tank is empty. Using that number it again runs less than a 1% error.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Soloboat

Postby Soloboat » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:05 pm

I got mine yesterday It just seemed to be the logical choice as a retrofit it will use the aperature that the tac now occupies and most reports are positive. I will install and then maybe I will be able to post some data. Two years on the water and still working on the boat but maintennance is a breeze.

kens

Postby kens » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:56 pm

do you have any idea of your fuel burn at about 20mph?

Soloboat

Postby Soloboat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:43 pm

Kens I have a vauge idea since I have never filled my tank 165 gals design was for 200gals, but I estimated based on GPS round trip to Catalina 57 miles cruised at an average speed of 22 MPH going with an estimated time of 1.5hrs, returned a lot slower due to conditions I used about 40 gals round trip with six guys and beers, oh I meant gear. So on the conservative side I would say abot 30 gals per hour.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:54 pm

So, how many gals./hr. of beer?

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Soloboat

Postby Soloboat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:45 pm

Lets just say high tide occured a little sooner than what was tabled.

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”