Batteries

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Batteries

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:00 am

I plan on 2 batteries, starting and house. they will be mounted mid-ship under the cockpit deck.

Should I just use hold down brackets or boxes? The bracket would certainly be easier to put a charger or jumpers on. Your thoughts?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

bob smith

Re: Batteries

Postby bob smith » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:17 am

After having a battery blow up, I'd vote for a box. That being said, mine are in a containment tray not an enclosed box.
You pay your money and you take your choice!
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Soloboat

Postby Soloboat » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:12 pm

Bill that boat is designed for some serious water so secure and safe is a good thing. I secured my batteries with hold downs but also covered them with a plywood box just in case they had a mind to explode. I took a nasty wave broadside I swore the cabin roof touched the water, lots of stuff rattled around and fell the batteries stayed in place, so my friend safe & secure :)
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

kens

Postby kens » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Soloboat wrote:Bill that boat is designed for some serious water so secure and safe is a good thing. I secured my batteries with hold downs but also covered them with a plywood box just in case they had a mind to explode. I took a nasty wave broadside I swore the cabin roof touched the water, lots of stuff rattled around and fell the batteries stayed in place, so my friend safe & secure :)

+1
The batteries should be bolted down and covered as well. Bolted down as to not jostle around, and covered in case something else jostle around and lay across the terminals.
Should not be a problem with battery charging nor terminal taps because you can have access to whatever junction terminals the battery leads go to. You can charge the battery from the 'HOT' side of whatever electrical box it is connected to.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

specialk

Postby specialk » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:49 am

Bill you are more qualified than I ... but what I am doing is... My battery box is also a access hatch.. under my console... I framed in a 1X2 place for both of my batteries to sit...( I will have lights at my transom and a live well at times...) it will have two all thread rods .. with "L" at the bottom and across the top I will fasten a 1x3 with a nut .. my all thread or threaded rod will extend up so I can put a wing nut on top ..which I will have a piece of plywood a inch or two bigger than my Batteries...

My thinking on this is ... I want to hold my battlers in place... but do not want them to get hot... and here in the south that is a issue...
Attachments
BATTERY BOX.jpg
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

jcallends

Postby jcallends » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:24 am

I do like the solution provided by Specialk as the best. Most battery explosions are caused by a sudden high current draw, like a short between terminals, resulting in a large amount of hydrogen gas being produced and vented by the battery and then ignited by a spark. If a box encloses the battery then the gas stays at the battery and becomes a hazard. With just a heavy cover it gives the gas a chance to dissipate and if it should
explode the cover provides a high degree of protection. If practical sealed batteries should be used as the chance of explosion is greatly reduced.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:36 am

I'm using an Odyssey 34M-PC1500 in the Torpedo. I used an Odyssey PC925 in the Zip. Odyssey batteries are AGM and will not leak any acid. I think if any battery explodes, most boxes would never contain the debris. I used a steel mount that Odyssey sells.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/marine.htm

Roberta
Attachments
hatch lift 004.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm leaning toward the brackets, in my case. They're below deck and pretty well ventilated. Hydrogen is explosive from a 5% to a 95% concentration. I don't know how you can be completely sure.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gap998

Postby gap998 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Hydrogen risks are often misunderstood - Actually you are at a much greater risk of explosion from you petrol (gas) fumes or a gas-line (propane/butane/LNG) leak than hydrogen. Most battery explosions are due to pressure build-up rather than hydrogen gas per se

http://www.arhab.org/pdfs/h2_safety_fsheet.pdf
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

bob smith

Postby bob smith » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:45 pm

The two battery "events" I'm all to familiar with were caused by an internal spark probably caused by loose or damaged battery innards. They both took place when the starter was activated indicating to me that a weak internal connection failed under a heavy load and caused a spark and a subsequent ka-boom! Batteries need to be secured and covered. Although rare, this type of event can be catastrophic especially is you have the aforementioned gas fumes present. This can be identified by a ka-boom immediately followed by a deafening KA-BOOM with a small mushroom cloud. O yes, don't forget the acid clean-up.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”