Can I use this wire?

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

DrBryanJ

Can I use this wire?

Postby DrBryanJ » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:26 am

My neighbor works for PSE&G. He has offered me wire they use for outdoor applications in any color or gauge I need. Can I use it for my boat?

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Re: Can I use this wire?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:10 am

Bryan

Marine wire is subject to vibration and moisture. It is multi-stranded and each strand is tinned.

If this wire is solid core don't us it. The vibration could fatigue it and cause it to fail. If it is multi-strand and you do a good job sealing all your connection and the boat is stored dry, it could give you years of service.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:21 am

Thanks Bill. I'm not sure if it is solid or multistranded. He is going to get me a sample to check out.

Bryan
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:33 am

Spoke to my neighbor. He says the wire is all multi-strand. Should be good to go. Should I stick to the recommended colors if he can get them (don't want to be a pest to him) or is red and black okay?

Bryan
Bryan

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:19 am

Go proper color coded if possible, it makes life a lot easier in the long run, from installing to troubleshooting.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

galamb

Postby galamb » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:20 am

Since you making a "home made" boat you don't really have to follow the rules for wire colours.

But, if you try and stick to at least the main colours it could save a headache later on, particularly if you don't remember using brown in place of black etc. or someone else attempts to figure out what you have wired where.

Just one other note from me. In newer boats the 12 volt black wire has been replaced with a yellow one.

On many cruisers there is both 12 volt and 110 volts systems so to prevent a potentially dangerous "oops", on 12 volt systems the red wire is "hot" and the yellow is now the return so not to get mixed up with a 110 volt "black hot wire".
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks, I'll see what he can get.

Bryan
Bryan

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:33 am

On 110 volt ac, black is hot, white is neutral, and green or bare copper is ground.

From memory... :?
On dc systems, Red is always hot. Black or yellow is negative. Nav. lights are grey. Bilge pumps/blowers and water pumps are brown. Auxiliary equipment is orange. Interior lights are blue. Earth ground is green.

This really helps if you pull your wiring ahead of time and when you are trouble shooting a problem.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”