ventilation ground wire?

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

chugalug

ventilation ground wire?

Postby chugalug » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:32 am

when installing ventilation hose,is there a grounding wire?similar to the wire on your shop vac system to eliminate static sparks? :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Cyclone

Re: ventilation ground wire?

Postby Cyclone » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:16 am

I have never heard, or seen of one, although if one end of the hose connects to a metal vent I would ground the metal vent. I get heavy static electricity when vacuuming up chunks of dried drywall mud with my shop vacuum from these pieces rubbing along the inside of the vacuum's plastic hose as they are sucked up. Since there will only be air travelling through the ventilation hose on the boat, I don't think static electricity will be a concern.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:46 am

Chug

The fuel tank, fill cap, and vent should be grounded together so there is no static potential between them.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:20 pm

:D Bill-I know that part from install instruction kit;I was mainly asking about the bilge blower and hoses. Guess I should have specified.tho it might be good insurance to put copper wire on the tubing(inside or out?)Wouldn't want gas fumes from bilge to ignite.I think the bilge blower motor is enclosed and would regular dryer venting pipe work?

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:19 pm

To the best of my limited knowledge bilge pumps ARE spark protected and rated for use in bilges with the potential for gas fumes to accumulate. I would use the standard plastic bilge fan hose and not introduce metal pipe.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:22 pm

I haven't worried about the sealed fans and pumps. Maybe I should but I haven't.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:43 pm

:D Thanks folks.most boats have inlet as well as exit scoops for bilge and fresh air however my Bo-Jest probably won't be fast enough for those to be effective enough so was thinking on using 2 blowers ;one on a switch and the other hooked up to fuel fume detector.(double trouble?)perhaps wood collection box under the top of rear half of bulwarks.(long skinny thingy)

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”