Fuel Tank Ground

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

csaggio

Fuel Tank Ground

Postby csaggio » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:16 am

As I get ready to permanently install the 30 gallon poly fuel tank in my barrelback 19 build, I know that I need to ground the tank due to the build up of static electricity when filling and as the gas sloshes around inside the tank. As I understand it, I can run a ground wire from the fuel filler hose clamp to the sending unit. This is where I get a bit confused! Can I run that ground wire to the ground wire on the sending unit and consider it done, or does another wire need to run off the sending unit to a ground on the boat. Want to make sure I get this right!

Thanks, Chris

bob smith

Re: Fuel Tank Ground

Postby bob smith » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:58 pm

I'd ground everything together. Overkill? I think "no-kill".
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

csaggio

Postby csaggio » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:08 am

Thank you for the response Bob. My question to the forum is advice on how to wire the fuel filler so that it is grounded correctly. I am unsure of how to do this and I want to make sure that I have it absolutely correct! My tank is poly and I understand that I need to run a ground from the filler to the sending unit. Does the ground need to actually contact the filler or is contact with the hose clamp enough? Where on the sending unit do I attach the ground?

Thanks, Chris

jcallends

Postby jcallends » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:29 am

Bob is right in his statement about overkill. The fear in this case is that static charges will accumulate to the point that some other object attracts the charge, if this happens it will travel to that object as a spark, called Electrostatic Discharge or ESD for short, you know what happens then. Think of lightening in the sky, it is static electricity. While it sometimes travels in a straight path it is a rarity and you can see it travel all over and even branching into several paths. Same on the ground/ water, it is unpredictable but by providing several paths to bleed off charges we increase the probability that a spark won't occur. In this case overkill is a benefit. Your hose clamp is an excellent place to attach a ground.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:44 am

There should have been an install instruction sheet with new tank ,however it calls out that the center one goes to the guage and the flat connecter goes to ground
IMG_0842[1].JPG
:D on my boat, I'm gonna run all grounds to a common ground(heavier ground rod)I've read somewhere that sometimes you can use copper screen imbedded in floor.Last year,I had ordered a catalog from Blue Sea Systems and they sent this:has all kinds of electrical hook-ups.and tho no prices are given,shows all specs on all the parts.
IMG_0843[1].JPG
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”