Electrical Mystery

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Electrical Mystery

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:05 am

Ok? I was checking out the Tahoe yesterday. I have three compartments (aft, engine, and forward). I have bilge pumps for each. Each pump has both a float switch and a manual switch. All work. But, the rear pump works on the float switch and not on the manual switch. The indicator light comes on for the manual switch and the pump doesn't. The rear is the important one. That is where the shaft seal drips.

If it was a fuse, I would not get power to the switch. If it is a broken wire or connection I would not have a circuit indication.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Re: Electrical Mystery

Postby hoodman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:16 am

Does the indicator light come on regardless of a complete circuit at the pump? Probably something wrong with the wiring internal to the pump. Does your pump have an internal or external float switch? If it's external how do you have it wired? I'm no expert. Just spitballing to help you think about it.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:36 am

Matt

I'm going to have to pull up my wiring diagram. The indicator means the it is hot across the switch. The pump has an exterior float switch, while works fine. The power at the manual is going someplace. Or, there would not be a circuit. It has worked for ten years.

Just something else.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:13 pm

any corrosion on connections?I know,from past problems,that with corrosion on battery connections,the battery works ,however cannot be charged from alternator.at least it happened on the car.If you didn't have problems before,maybe????
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

billy c

Postby billy c » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Try jumping a wire across the hot leg of your switch to your pump leg of your switch and see if it runs?
Ground wire good?
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

kens

Postby kens » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 pm

There is so many things to ask about, I wouldnt even guess.
You need to see just how it is wired up.
From what you said so far, you got 2 different power source for the pump. (the float & the switch)
How does the light power up? (from hot battery or a switch or a fuse or the float)
When the light comes on, what is it telling you, (the switch is powered up, the pump has power, the fuse is good, the battery has power)?????
How is the pump grounded, (same as float switch, different than float switch)

From my experience in aviation, indicator lights mostly just tell you the switch is (on), this is different than the said device actually (working).
And the pilot will instinctively tell you the device is in fact on (because the light is on.)
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Ken

It's not a current problem, since the float switch is working. I have other issues on the Bartender that are more pressing.

I'll get into some of those later. (mostly paint)

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”