glassing plywood prior to hull installation

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Re: glassing plywood prior to hull installation

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:39 am

Scot2640

This our friends boat.

Bill
Attachments
101_1585.JPG
101_1584.JPG
101_1583.JPG
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Scot2640

Postby Scot2640 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Such a small world! On George Buehler's diesel duck website there is a picture series of them building their boat. Must be 30 pictures of the build, from a pile of wood to launch.

They did a traditional planking then covered it in 2 layers of ply. If this is the same boat, and I think it is, Mr. Buehler makes the point of pre-glassing the plywood panels in the photos showing them hanging the glass fabric and wetting it out. He laments what I difficult job it is doing it that way and thinks his idea of pre-glassing is a better method. That's the whole reason I posted the question. They would be great people to ask!

Here is a link if you want to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

http://www.dieselducks.com/Wood-constructionphotos.html
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Yep! Same boat, same people.

Send me a PM with name and number. I'll try to give it to them next time I see them. It may be a while. I won't be down there for a couple of weeks and they are at a different marina than they were. I think Harry still is working for Lulu's South Port fuel dock.

I can't imagine doing that much glass work inverted!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

tsmitherman

Postby tsmitherman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:43 pm

For what it's worth, I glassed the 3 pieces of plywood that made up the cabin top of my Bo-Jest, then installed them and glassed the two seams. It was MUCH easier applying the glass when the panels were on sawhorses at waist level than it would have been trying to do it on my knees, on a curved cabin top, 10 feet off the ground.

The plywood was 3/8", and I couldn't tell any significant change in the flexibility after glassing.
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

Return to “Wood and Plywood”