Best substitution for Honduras Mahogany

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

PeterG

Re: Best substitution for Honduras Mahogany

Postby PeterG » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:13 pm

6 ft lengths would work for appearance like decks or topsides if resawn to thinner pieces like 1/4" or so and laminated to plywood sides or subdecks. It could be used for frame pieces if resawn to 4/4" but cost wise there are better values in African mahogany or Philippine meranti for structural pieces. That said, use what you please, that's the beauty of building your own boat.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:16 pm

It's $600 for 100 bd. ft. of 8/4 #2 and common, which is a buck more per bd. ft. than I can get African. Not only would I have to resaw if I wanted to use it for frames, but I would probably get quite a bit of waste, especially if the longest board is 6' long.

The #1 and select is $1400 for 100 bd. ft. of 8/4, which is probably a good price for Honduran.

https://www.tehwoods.com/wood-shop/lumb ... an-genuine

JaTro

Postby JaTro » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:42 am

You all forget about splendid american wood known as Black Locust or Robinia Pseudoacacia.
French boatbuilders really love it, rot resistent, local and available without damaging rain forrests.

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:02 am

You could come to my house and cut down the three black locust trees in my front yard. I hate those trees. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Return to “Wood and Plywood”