chine sandwich on Malahini?

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Tom J

chine sandwich on Malahini?

Postby Tom J » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:44 pm

I am having a hard time bending the 3/4" mahogany (Meranti) chine log on my frames. I was thinking of ripping them, attaching the first one then glue and attach the second piece on that, somewhat like the sheer. Would this present any problems with fairing and or structural strength?

Bill Edmundson

Re: chine sandwich on Malahini?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Tom

Many builders do this. It is actually stronger than a single piece. If you use metal fasteners do your fairing with a belt sander.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:10 pm

I did that on my build. I also concur with Bill on belt sander. My plane blade will attest to that. :oops:
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Tom J

Postby Tom J » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Thank you both... also for the advice on using a belt sander. I would have figured that out after ruining a blade on mine.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 pm

Bill and DrBryan said it best, it's a good idea and makes a stronger chine. You can do it in two or three layers. I would recommend applying them with epoxy first, then install the screws after the laminating is done. Though, if you go with two layers, you may need to use scews at the chine blocking at the stem to hold it better. I made my chines from African mahogany, I think khaya (not really sure) and found at 3/4 inch they were surprisingly flexible. Let's see how they go when I get to installing them..
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:31 pm

When I laminated any of the longitudinals in my boat I only used epoxy, no fasteners. When you screw the planking down the fasteners will likely go into both laminations anyways.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”