New Zealanders - Radiata Pine?

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bluesman

New Zealanders - Radiata Pine?

Post by Bluesman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:25 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this material for structural members? I believe it is also called Monterey pine?

Your comments are appreciated.
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of Buffalo Bill and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

galamb

Re: New Zealanders - Radiata Pine?

Post by galamb » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:55 pm

Over on the wooden boat forum there is a gentleman named Bob Smalser who has probably forgot more about wood than any dozen of us will ever know.

He was asked a good number of years back and made the following comments:

Compare the numbers side by side with Doug Fir. Radiata is just as heavy but is considerably weaker in a number of critical factors. Add to all that the radiata might be extremely rot prone if it's 3 rings per inch fast-grown stock, and I suspect it's a poor choice.

So while I have never seen the wood, I will defer to Bob...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Bluesman

Re: New Zealanders - Radiata Pine?

Post by Bluesman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:53 am

This is as I suspected. I thank you for the information!
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of Buffalo Bill and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Return to “Wood and Plywood”