New Zealanders - Radiata Pine?

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bluesman

New Zealanders - Radiata Pine?

Post by Bluesman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:25 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this material for structural members? I believe it is also called Monterey pine?

Your comments are appreciated.
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of Buffalo Bill and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

galamb

Re: New Zealanders - Radiata Pine?

Post by galamb » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:55 pm

Over on the wooden boat forum there is a gentleman named Bob Smalser who has probably forgot more about wood than any dozen of us will ever know.

He was asked a good number of years back and made the following comments:

Compare the numbers side by side with Doug Fir. Radiata is just as heavy but is considerably weaker in a number of critical factors. Add to all that the radiata might be extremely rot prone if it's 3 rings per inch fast-grown stock, and I suspect it's a poor choice.

So while I have never seen the wood, I will defer to Bob...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:53 am

This is as I suspected. I thank you for the information!
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of Buffalo Bill and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

NZScott

Post by NZScott » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 pm

Radiata pine here the is result of a huge genetic selection programme in the 70s, in NZ, it now grows from planting to harvest in 22-24 years. I have some I used for concrete boxing about 12 moths ago then left outside, recently I noticed that it is beginning to rot already!

I agree, Don't touch it at all for boat building.

Cheers

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks for the first hand report, I appreciate it!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:57 pm

We were in NZ in 2013. We went a place they had planted California Redwoods. NZ soil is too rich and the trees grew too quickly. The wood was no good.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

NZScott

Post by NZScott » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi Bill, Yes, most trees grow a lot quicker in our climate, not that great for the timber quality. We do grow some OK lawson cypress at higher altitudes, and Macrocarpa(I think it may be called monterey pine over in the US) but it is hard to get clears.

Such a shame all our Kauri was cut out early last century, it is THE perfect boat building timber! won't rot in sea water at all. Now you can only get it as demolition timber.

cheers

Return to “Wood and Plywood”