Biscuit joining frames

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bluesman

Biscuit joining frames

Post by Bluesman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:50 pm

I'm thinking of using biscuits to join my frames, along with epoxy and the standard gussets as proscribed. Does anyone have any reasons why I wouldn't want to use biscuits here?

Your expert opinions are appreciated!
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of Buffalo Bill and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

hoodman

Re: Biscuit joining frames

Post by hoodman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 pm

I don't see any problem with it if you're using gussets as well. Might help you to keep things aligned.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:46 am

I think using biscuits to join frame members together is a good way to go. I used this method when assembling the frames on my PB 22 build. You can see the method I used if you look at my current build thread (Neel's Palm Beach 22 build).
Attachments
20171211_071239.jpg

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:48 am

Thanks Neel! Skilled woodworking there...
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of Buffalo Bill and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:17 am

I'll offer some counter advice. I am not an expert woodworker, so please take that into consideration, but from what I've heard, biscuits and or dowels only moderately add to the strength of the joint. The real strength is from the gussets. Biscuits and or dowels can add to alignment, and I used this approach when making my cabin walls last month. But even with the use of a doweling jig and careful bracing to keep everything flat, I still had very slight differences between panels. Very slight being less than 1/32". Definitely nothing to worry about and they sanded out quite nicely.

Anyway I digress, what I did with my frames was build them in sections using the garage floor(with a layer of plywood to nail the frames into position) and cinder blocks as weights over the joints. I didn't assemble the frames all in one go because I wanted to avoid any warpage from an uneven garage floor. But for the small area of the joint, this worked great. Of course I put wax paper between the floor plywood and the frame wood (as well as between the cinder blocks and the wood).

So I am not necessarily advocating this approach over the biscuit approach, just offering it up as another way.

20130324_180315.jpg
20130324_154956.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Good tips Carl! Always willing to listen to another idea. Thank you!

Return to “Wood and Plywood”