Okoume vs Meranti for clear finishing

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

brockj

Okoume vs Meranti for clear finishing

Post by brockj » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:43 pm

I have been searching through the forum trying to find as much information as I can before I order my material for my squirt build. At this time my plan is African mahogany for the frame and I am stuck on either Okoume or Meranti for the plywood. My intent is to finish it clear on the sides. Seems like most go with Okoume, but the price from the only place I have been able to find it in town is $120/sheet for 6mm (from what I have gathered I don't want to drop down to 4mm). I have requested an updated price on the Meranti but from some info on the website it looks to be about half that amount for Meranti. For the 3/4" framing and motor board I had thought about just going with Douglas Fir marine plywood, but the more I think about it that would not look good at all (unless I painted the motor board?).

So my question is, does anyone have any examples of clear finished Meranti I could compare to Okoume? It might help make the decision easier (or more expensive). Also, any reason not to use Douglas Fir marine plywood for the top decking if my plan is to cover with 1/8" mahogany/sapele boards?

hoodman

Re: Okoume vs Meranti for clear finishing

Post by hoodman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:54 pm

I can help with that. My frame gussets are meranti, the hull is okoume, and the frames are white oak. Everything is clear coated with epoxy. No stain. Okoume is slightly nicer to work with and lighter in weight. Meranti tends to splinter when you saw it. Both were high-quality panels.
Attachments
IMG_20191008_174617391.jpg
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:55 pm

brockj,

I used meranti and have switched to okoume. It is from www.theworkbench.com 6mm okoume is $95 plus shipping. www.marine-plywood.us has 6mm okoume for $77 plus shipping.

The sole panel on the right is okoume, with meranti on the left. For reference, my frames are white oak, battens are African mahogany, hull plywood and gussets are meranti. The finish, if you can call it that, is three coats of epoxy.
IMG_0416.jpg
The okoume is lighter weight, more flexible, and less prone to splinters.

Tom

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Meranti is darker than Okoume when epoxy encapsulated for what that’s worth. My major hang up with Meranti is the splintering along the sawn edge. I won’t use it again.
Good luck,
Matt B

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:07 am

Yes, the meranti splinters a lot on the sawn edge, You need to cut wide and sand it back to get a nice edge, It is also deeper in graininess and will require greater amounts of coating to fill in the pores of the wood. It is also heavier than Okoume. It is very pretty when finished properly.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

brockj

Post by brockj » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:18 am

Thank you everyone for the replies. It is nice to see the difference from the pictures provided. The grain pattern shown in hoodman's photo looks great to me and I would be very happy with that. On the other hand, TomB's photo makes Meranti look rather lackluster compared to Okoume. The splintering is definitely good to know. Does taping the cut prior help? I have not heard back from what appears to be the only supplier that carries either Okoume or Meranti locally. From what I am seeing it appears that they are a little high ($120) per sheet for Okoume, especially if Meranti is seriously half the price at around $60/sheet. If the prices were closer I am convinced to go with Okoume, but at double the cost is hard to justify.

For the 3/4" I am considering Douglas Fir since in most cases it is not seen. For the motorboard can I cover it with a scrap piece of 1/4" as a veneer? On the other hand, if I do end up going with Meranti any issue going with BS6566 Meranti just for the 3/4" (and 1088 for the bottom and sides)?

brockj

Post by brockj » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:05 pm

I ended up calling out to what appears to be the ONLY non Douglas Fir marine plywood dealer in the state of Minnesota (Midwest Boat Appeal) and the cost difference truly is double, $63 for a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" Meranti and $120 for a 4'x8' sheet 1/4" Okoume. The gentleman on the phone was very nice, but he also informed me that he is very low stock of his 1/4" plywood and that it will be 3-4 weeks before he gets more. This brings me to a couple questions:

1) Any reason not to use Douglas Fir Marine plywood for the Stem, Breasthook, Motorboard, and Transom?

2) If used for the transom, can I cover with 1/4" Meranti/Okoume to allow for a matching clear finish as I intend to do with the sides?

My goal of using the DF for the framing parts is mostly economical (since they are mostly covered is it worth spending an additional $120 for the sheet?), but also allows me to begin working on the plywood frame parts immediately instead of waiting an additional month (which will inevitably get pushed out a couple additional weeks as deer hunting begins).

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:16 pm

You're fine laminating Okoume or Merante over DF.

DF is fine for stems, breast hooks, and floor timbers.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

brockj

Post by brockj » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks Roberta! Will pick that up this weekend and probably kick off my build. The delay on the 1/4" shouldn't be too big of a deal, other than the gussets.
Roberta wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:16 pm
You're fine laminating Okoume or Merante over DF.

DF is fine for stems, breast hooks, and floor timbers.

Roberta

acflynn

Post by acflynn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:04 pm

I may be in the same boat - Ha! See what I did there? (Sorry it’s late). Would the Doug Fir ply be fine for the frame gussets as well?
Attempting a Mist Miss build in the Arizona Desert

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:13 am

Yes the DF will work.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

acflynn

Post by acflynn » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks for the conFIRmation - jeez, I can’t seem to stop. Sorry again, on vacation currently and a bit anxious to get back (temperature dropped about 30 degrees here from yesterday)
Attempting a Mist Miss build in the Arizona Desert

Return to “Wood and Plywood”