FRAME LAYOUT ISSUE

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Shawn K

FRAME LAYOUT ISSUE

Post by Shawn K » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:31 pm

So im transferring my frame patterns over to my wood so I can begin cutting it out, when it occurred to me that I'm not sure where im suppose to cut the frames at? how can I tell the cut line on the plans? I'm guessing the cut line is the staggered line and the line that is solid you don't cut? am I correct or can someone help me, id hate to start this project off by cutting everything wrong. ha ha. if I have this correct the bottom piece on the frame is cut short and the side pieces that run vertically are the longer pieces and run on the outside of the top and bottom pieces? then I guess they get butted up together and epoxied with the gussets over top of them on both sides?

Roberta

Re: FRAME LAYOUT ISSUE

Post by Roberta » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:40 pm

It depends on if you are using the single gusset that goes between lapped frame pieces or the double gussets that sandwich the butted frame pieces. Either way is acceptable. If you choose butt joints, make the bottom frame piece full length with the side frame butt on top. Deck beams will be lap joints without gussets.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Shawn K

Post by Shawn K » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:03 am

Thanks for the great information Roberta, that helps very much, also just wanted to tell you I've been reading your Torpedo build here on the forum and have been enjoying it very much as well as learning a bunch. So, your saying its my choice on what joints I use, and as far as the top deck beam, I see on the prints where it says to use a lap joint just like you said.Now that joint is done on every frame that way with the top beam, even the short partial pieces that don't go all the way across and theres two separate deck beam pieces also get lap joints? Now does the deck beam piece go to the forward side, towards the front of the boat? I believe I read that somewhere also. Thanks

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:36 am

Shawn,

Check out your small drawings.

For the question on floor beams, I tend to agree with Roberta but also see sheet 2 of 4. The side frame members are shown to include both the chine and sheer notches the chine corner is gusseted both sides. The dashed lines depicting the members behind something will show a T where the two members meet and the through piece being the top of the T.

For the deck beam locations, forward frame lap aft and aft frames lap forward. (I bet that clears it up :roll: ) See note 1, sheet 2 of 4 and then the frame drawings. Also have a look at sheet 3 of 4. The Construction Profile shows the frames on edge with the deck beams sectioned/cross hatched. The Deck Framing Plan shows the beams on edge and the ends of the frames cross hatched.

Tom

Return to “Wood and Plywood”