Home Depot - Sande Plywood

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

reneb41

Home Depot - Sande Plywood

Post by reneb41 »

I'm starting my new "True Grit" build and looking to get my supplies for plywood and studs for frames. I was building a Panga previously where the designer of the plans mentioned I could save lots of money if I used "Sande" plywood from Home Depot and since it will be covered with fiberglass that it really doesn't matter. Does anyone have any experience with this?

It's very clear and smooth with no footballs. He said it was marine quality ply but it doesn't look that way on the description at HD. I really like the price of it but want to ensure that it will do the job.

Also wondering about HD standard "White wood" stud lumber for the frame it I get it without many knots.

If anyone has experience with either of these I'd really like your opinion and results.

galamb

Re: Home Depot - Sande Plywood

Post by galamb »

Sande Plywood IS a marine grade plywood.

(but I have been unable to find the "standard" for it)

The difference being, typically (historically) marine grade plywood is made out of Douglas Fir (domestic) or a few of the African/Phillipine Mahoganies (hardwoods) such as Okoume, Meranti or Sapele - the first two commonly receiving "Lloyd's" certifications if they are produced to those standards.

In a quest to find less expensive ways to produce a quality product (they) have been looking to "other woods" that can produce the a similar product. Sande, also called Mullberry Wood, is grown in South America. They have produced a marine panel with this wood using water proof/boil proof (WPBP) glue and done so more economically than using the other more (traditional) marine woods.

If you look really hard you can find marine rated plywood made from maple, eucalyptus and a few other exotic species. I personally would not hesitate to use any of them (internally) but would save the more traditional (Okoume/Meranti), and preferably Lloyd's rated sheets for the main hull.

For your frames I really wouldn't mess around with fast grown "junk" that they pass off as stud/framing lumber now. Go minimally with straight grain douglas fir, but any of the mahoganies (African works really well) for the "parts that really matter".
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

TomB

Post by TomB »

I am not familiar with Sand plywood and took a look at HDs description, also at Menards. I see "marine" mentioned, without specification. A comment on the HD sight gives me pause...

Response from Sandeply
June 4, 2020
Hello. Thanks for your feedback on Sandeply. Our plywood does NOT contain exterior glue. If water gets around the laminate it could cause delamination. Our plywood is typically used for furniture and craft projects as it is an interior grade plywood. If you have any questions, you can reach me at jeff.jordan@greenforestprod.com or 352-341-5500 ext. 102 Jeff"

Best to take Jeff up on his offer and get the straight scoop.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

TAB

Post by TAB »

some where it should have who made it. i would contact them and ask. the msd(formally msds) will also tell what is in the glue.

most of the hd plywood is not very good. its bought in bulk for reduced cost.

galamb

Post by galamb »

Perhaps there is "no standard".

Being an "exotic" the APA generally don't stick their fingers into that.

This is a description that I got from one of the mfg's (of Sande):

This type of lumber is made for marine purposes, making it ideal for outdoor applications. Marine-grade plywood like this is designed to weather the storm with special binders and adhesives that can withstand water. Many other types of plywood are rated for exposure, meaning they can stand up to water for a short period of time. However, this type of plywood can withstand moisture indefinitely.

So it may depend entirely on "who" produced the panel.
Graham

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

reneb41

Post by reneb41 »

I found the same thing; various pages on Sande Plywood saying it's marine ply and great to build boats and HD saying not to use it outside or in water. They may just be trying to cover their butt in case it goes bad for someone and comes back on them. I've been in to see it personally and it looks great and not much different from the meranti I've been using. Thanks for your comments... I really appreciate it. Not I need to figure out where to get my lumber if not at HD. lol

galamb

Post by galamb »

In (covered) locations (inside the hull, gussets etc) I have no issue using ACX rated plywood which is "for protected exterior construction" (such as under shingles, behind siding etc).

So if this stuff is "at least" rated to the durability (or better) than Exterior Panel, I would have no issues using it as you have described, but it really would be nice to see the "standard" if one exists. If no standard exists then it would be up to each mfg to decide how well they build the stuff. At the very least, knowing "what glue" they use to bond it up and how fussy they are about voids in the inner plies.
Graham

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Anything sold by Home Depot or Menards is going to have voids in it. I have a picture somewhere of the marine ply at Menards and every sheet has at least one decent sized void in it. It is Douglas fir and waterproof glue however from what I have been told. So what's the difference between acx and the marine that Menards sells? From what I can tell it's just that the marine is made with Doug fir and acx and bcx is made with "white wood".

Save money elsewhere don't skimp on the hull.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB »

Just to be clear...Sande is fine for marine plywood, so is Douglas fir. That doesn't mean that ANY plywood made from Sande or Douglas fir is marine grade. The difference between interior plywood, exterior plywood and marine plywood is all about the glue and the voids. If Sande Plywood sold at HD says it's for interiors it lacks the quality of glue needed for exterior use or marine plywood, great stuff maybe, but not for boats.

Roseburg manufactures the marine plywood Matt mentioned. It looks like average or low average BC exterior Douglas fir plywood to me, voids and boats and gaps on both sides. It is at the same price point as the HD Sande, not as nice looking but at least the glue is right.

On the other hand, I have seen some well maintained AC exterior plywood boat last longer than their builders.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

kens

Post by kens »

Who or where decided that home depot Sandeply is a marine grade?
Are we talking about that stuff, generally 3/4 thick, blonde color, lightweight, looks like close, void free plys, and little to no footballs, and it is cheap?
Same stuff?
I took a scrap of it and boiled it in water, it was funny to watch.
It swelled up like balsa, got soft enough you could squish it, and all the plys unpeeled like a banana.
Are we talking about the same stuff?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ken is correct! Get a piece of it if you can and boil it if it is still together in the morning... Maybe.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

reneb41

Post by reneb41 »

I just got off the phone with the manufacturer of the Sande plywood for Home Depot and it is definitely "not" a marine grade ply. It is interior for cabinetry only. Glad I checked with them before purchasing. He said it can be made with a marine/waterproof glue but the demand is so low that they use the interior glue for HD. Back to the drawing board for an affordable marine ply. Thanks for everyone's help in finding this out.

kens

Post by kens »

As of recently, there is good looking ply being imported from Vietnam and Russia.
Said to be of exterior type glue, I have seen it, it looks good, but I have not tested it.
Priced good too.
Somebody needs to build garage project enough to get a sample.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Wood and Plywood”